HELP! JANE! Stop this crazy thing! 62 Erude Lark 6

KillerKilgore

Seaman
Need help think I know how to put a kill switch on this engine but not sure. Should I put wires from the points and when they make contact it will short out the ignition system and shut the engine off? (pic 1)

Also have a few questions about the over rev cutout (pic 4) and what looks like a full throttle safety switch (pic3 and 4) but not sure. this is a new to me boat and engine. and just want to make sure I do it correct the first time.

also would like to know if I can use a condenser from a 59 10hp johnson on this 62 40hp erude?

1.JPG 2.JPG 3.JPG 4.JPG

killerkilgore

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral
Re: HELP! JANE! Stop this crazy thing! 62 Erude Lark 6

Yes, the kill switch or ignition switch shorts the 2 points sets together to kill the engine.

The center post of the over-rev cutout goes to one set of points. The other wire on the center post continues to the kill switch and/or ignition switch.

The safety switch and starter solenoid ground go to the corner lug on the over-rev cutout.

40 hp wiring.jpg

KillerKilgore

Seaman

Thanks for the reply tx1961whaler.

I will have the add the points wires to the locations you described. Then check the rest.

The throttle position switch does not make contact throttle position arm. Is that easy to adjust?
3.JPG

Will get better pics to show what I'm talking about if need to.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

The vacuum cut-out switch is mounted on plastic, therefor not grounded. But the switch body is connected to the safety switch, which grounds at high throttle settings. That scheme does two things:

1. It prevents the motor from starting at high throttle settings
2. It prevents the vacuum cut-out switch from working at high throttle settings.

FYI: The diagram shows the coils labeled backwards. The upper cylinder coil is the one toward the front of the engine.

KillerKilgore

Seaman

The vacuum cut-out switch is mounted on plastic, therefor not grounded. But the switch body is connected to the safety switch, which grounds at high throttle settings. That scheme does two things:

1. It prevents the motor from starting at high throttle settings
2. It prevents the vacuum cut-out switch from working at high throttle settings.

FYI: The diagram shows the coils labeled backwards. The upper cylinder coil is the one toward the front of the engine.

The safety switch that I have is reversed. at full throttle the switch (under the rear of flywheel) is NOT grounded. At low throttle the safety switch IS grounded. I tested it by setting multimeter to ohm, connected one meter test to screw on the head. Connected the other test lead to the back of the switch. checked meter and it did not show any continuity. When pressing the button on the switch I had a 0 ohm short.

Now with that being said. When it is at full throttle the plate that should be striking the safety switch is pasted it. At current configuration the switch does nothing. I will have to adjust the plate so it will contact the button on the switch (no adjustment on the switch already checked it).
There were no leads coming off the points to kill the engine so maybe the PO turned that plate upside down or something.

I notice on the switch there looked liked 2 places to connect the wire leading to the over-rev switch. One across from the word "open" and the other across from the word "close". But the one across from the word "close" looked as if it had been removed by the factory.

That bring around another question. How does safety switch work with the solenoid?
I know
1. the positive side of the battery goes one large stud of the solenoid.
2. The body of solenoid is grounded or connected to the negative side of the battery.
3. Then the other large stud of the solenoid there is a lead going to the starter.
4. There is also a small lead going to one small post on the solenoid that,
when energized, makes the two large studs kick in and sends power to the starter.
5. The other small post on solenoid is connected to the safety switch.

So if the small post connected to safety switch side of the solenoid sees a ground it will not let the solenoid send power go to the starter?
IS that right?

KillerKilgore