Help identifying this please!

F150_Feste

Recruit
A little about my boat:
1981 Skeeter Wrangler HP-150, with a 1981 Mercury 115 6cyl (tower of power) engine.

The wires leading into this have rotted, but for the life of me, I can't seem to find any pics/diagrams out on web to help me identify what it goes to and if it's even necessary to run my boat. Can someone help me identify this and what it's purpose is for my boat? And how to find one to replace the wiring assy.

I was thinking it was trim related but my trim works fine without the wires.

IMG_2415.JPG
IMG_2416.JPG
IMG_2414.jpg

Thanks in advance to the community.

Yesterday

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Help identifying this please!

It's a trim limiter switch. It usually is wired inline with the trim pump but because they usually fail, most people bypass them anyway. I think (but not yet certain) that it's main function has to do with trailering mode, and the actual trimming as opposed to tilting. Hopefully someone with more specific knowledge will correct me if I'm wrong.

F150_Feste

Recruit

It's a trim limiter switch. It usually is wired inline with the trim pump but because they usually fail, most people bypass them anyway. I think (but not yet certain) that it's main function has to do with trailering mode, and the actual trimming as opposed to tilting. Hopefully someone with more specific knowledge will correct me if I'm wrong.

thanks Yesterday, that would make sense, and explain why we've lost fluid before when my dad left the trim switch up and it broke a seal as it was still trying to trim, even when it couldn't. I may see about tracing that wire back, but it sounds like i could leave it off and wouldn't be an issue (any more than it is now).

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

It does look like a trim limit switch, but it was not like the one on m '77 Merc, with the same type of PTT. You might look on the crowleymarine website at your parts diaghram to confirm.

Yesterday

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have two PT&T setups. One the trim limiter is on the inside of one of the mounting brackets, and on the other it's actually on the ouside of the opposite. Definitely easier access to the later but both are screwed.

@OP: You're quite welcome.