Help, how do I winterize?

goof

Cadet
I have a 22' 1986 B'liner with a 305 chevy and volvo penta outdrive. What do I have to do to winterize it myself? I will be storing it inside (but not heated). <br />Thanks,<br />Rob in NY

martinwinte

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Help, how do I winterize?

See my post listed here as "found a newbe webpage" there is some info in there. <br />Drain the block and manifold<br /><br />Remove the thermastat and dump anti freeze (rv type please) into block and manifold<br /><br />Add stabil to gas (run long enough to get into carbs)...also spray fogging oil into carb till engine dies.<br /><br />Drain fuel tank (there are 2 schools of thought on this one... I am of the drain it school)<br /><br />change engine oil<br /><br />spray wd 40 (or fogging oil, or silicone spray) on exposed engine metal parts<br /><br />also cover carb with a plastic bag and also any thru hull fittings stuff a bag into (to keep mice from finding a new home)<br /><br />if you can jack up the trailer to keep the tires off the ground (prevent dry rotting)<br /><br />Also now is a good time to service your wheel bearings, lights, ect (to "lighten" your load next spring)<br /><br />Store the battery somewhere where the temp is consistant (bedroom closet works well....store on wood to keep the carpet clean).