Help! Hole in boat!

rick3b

Cadet
My boat started taking in water yesterday. When I loaded it on to the trailer, I noticed a 1 1/2" gash on the bottom front of the boat. I think I got it while following a shrimp boat that was stiring up the bottom. I will never do that again. Where do I go to fix it, and what needs to be done to it? Thanks in advance. I forgot to mention that it is an aluminum boat.

Formula1974

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Help! Hole in boat!

Im sure someone will chime in but maybe call around to local welding companys and find one that heliarc (sp?) welds (welds alumninum) shouldnt be too much to get welded up a friend of mine got a tranny bellhousing welded back together for less then 50 bucks

E. E.

Petty Officer 3rd Class

If you can find some of the alumaweld sticks,I think that's the name, they worked great on an old jon boat that I had. It took a handheld torch, heat up the surface and let the rods met in. It works just like soldering but a much much harder patch when finished. I found mine at a local flea market.

Winger Ed.

Chief Petty Officer

If its in a place that can't be welded due to styrofoam above the cut, or whatever, you can cold patch it sort of like a bycycle inner tube. <br /><br /><br />Before I got into TIG welding, I had a 2" and a 4" hole to sea on my Aluminum boat where a port-o-pottie water intake and 'exhaust' that emptied to sea under the boat had been removed.<br /><br />I got a piece of Aluminum pretty close to the same thickness as the hull, at the local scrapyard. Cut a 4" and 6" circle from it, drilled 3/16ths dia. holes about 3/4 inch apart all around the edges for common hardware store pop-rivets.<br /><br />Placed the patches over the hole, drilled through the boat, and set 1 rivet, then another to hold the patch while I drilled the rest of the holes. <br /><br />I then drilled out the 2 rivets I'd set to hold the patch steady, and de-burred & cleaned the area on both the patch and the hull.<br /><br />To put it together, I put a huge bead of the red automotive gasket maker type silicone, about 1/2" thick around and close to the outboard edge of the patch. It was a mess too, over and around the rivet holes. I put it on the hull side too, just to be sure I made as big of a mess as possible.<br /><br />Then,<br />Stuck the patch up there on the bottom and set all the pop-rivets in the pre-drilled holes. Wipped off the goo that came out the edge, and lived happily ever after. That was 10 years ago, and it hasn't leaked a drop.<br /><br />If I'd thought of it at the time, I'd probably have used JB Weld as the sealer and set all the rivets in the patch while it was still 'wet'.<br /><br />If you go that route, make your patch is about a inch or so bigger all the way around your gash/hole to give plenty of room for your rivets, which need to be about 1/8th to 1/4 inch from the edge of your patch.<br /><br />It isn't a pretty repair, but its fast to do, and will work permantly. <br /><br />If ya need it, send me a email. I'll get your address and send you a patch. I've got a bunch of .050" and 1/8" Alum. sheet & plate left over from building this hydroplane. Send me a self addressed envelope big enough, with about 3 stamps on it, the size ya need, and I'll cut it out and mail the patch back to ya. I just took about 75 pounds of tailings to the scrap yard last week, but still have plenty of sheet stock for odds & ends projects like this. <br /><br />Ed.

E. E.

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Morgus, That is the product I was referring to. I just had the wrong name in mind. It's ad states that the finished patch is stronger than the parent metal. I found that to be true. It's real easy to work with.