HELP!...Found Duracraft Aluminum Boat

Status
Not open for further replies.

ajderr

Cadet
I found an old Duracraft Aluminum boat behind a barn on the property I just bought. It is a really neat looking boat and I would like to possibly restore it (within reason) to a usable vessel for me and my family. I know nothing about boats, but am pretty mechanically inclined. I do not have a picture of it yet, but I have attached a picture that I found on this forum that resembles the one that I found. It has two cockpits, but without a pass-through, and the operator seat is in the front cockpit on the port side. It also looks like it originally had a short plexiglass windshield that has been broken off down to the mounts. Anyone who could direct or advise me on how to start such a project and who might be able to share with me exactly what I have would be appreciated.

Attachments

• 100_4818.JPG
    100_4818.JPG
    2.9 KB · Views: 10

ajderr

Cadet
Re: HELP!...Found Duracraft Aluminum Boat

Found another image that more closely resembles the boat. Operator in the wrong location in this pic, though.

Attachments

• fb04_1.JPG
    fb04_1.JPG
    8.3 KB · Views: 7

Starcraftguy1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Start tearing it a part.Bag all your parts,labelling them as to where they go.The broken plexiglass can be cut by any glass guy,Not expensive.But check it out good,may even want to put some water in it to see if it leaks,It will probably need new wood,try to get it out piece by piece so you can trace it onto the new wood,check the rivets,make sure they are tight.You got to start somewhere.lol.Price was good.Have fun.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

Good find, an aluminum boat is great project to restore.

Post some pics if possible.

lgeninchrg

Recruit

Before you start you might want to check with your local Police or DMV about registering the boat in your name. I Would hate to see you invest time and money into something you can not own.

ajderr

Cadet

Thanks guys...I will get some pics once I get it into the barn. Right now it won't quit raining...this is good because I am getting a free fill to check for leaks. I have a couple of friends on the local city and county police forces to check on getting it registered. Not sure on boats, but I have been able to license trailers with no identifying numbers before. I should have started this last fall so that I could have it ready to use this season, but I guess next year is a more reasonable target anyway. And away we go!:)

ajderr

Cadet

OK...don't have any pics yet...kids had filled up the camera and not downloaded them...I have completed stripping everything off of the boat to start preparing the rebuild. Here are my thoughts...on the interior, I plan to line the floor with foam board between the ribs to flatten it out, then cover with carpeting. The foam should also help with noise. I am thinking of polishing the exterior sides instead of painting, and then painting the top surface white. There is plenty of info on here regarding the prep and paint portion, so I think I have a handle on it. I do not have a motor, and I wanted to start the search so I had one ready for when the boat itself got done. Any guidelines as to what size to look for? The boat is 14' long, and I plan to haul myself, the wife, three kids, and sometimes the dog. Not sure what HP to get. I do have a spare 350 S.B. for the Jeep that is available, but I thought it might be a bit much...

ajderr

Cadet

I have some pics of the boat now. See attached. I have removed all of the old and rotten clamps, dash and steering components. The windshield remnants were plexiglass, but the base was curved outward about an inch with a gasketed seal. Would appreciate some guidance on how or where to find a new one. Other pics are on next post. Going to start cleaning and sanding the hull this evening.

Attachments

• Aft 1.JPG
    Aft 1.JPG
    40.8 KB · Views: 8
  • Aft 2.JPG
    Aft 2.JPG
    54 KB · Views: 7
  • Aft cockpit.JPG
    Aft cockpit.JPG
    38.9 KB · Views: 7
  • Fore cockpit.JPG
    Fore cockpit.JPG
    42 KB · Views: 8
  • Fore.JPG
    Fore.JPG
    51.3 KB · Views: 8

ajderr

Cadet

Additional pics

Attachments

• Port side.JPG
    Port side.JPG
    63.7 KB · Views: 6
  • Starboard side 1.JPG
    Starboard side 1.JPG
    51.8 KB · Views: 5
  • Starboard side 2.JPG
    Starboard side 2.JPG
    55.9 KB · Views: 5

Huron Angler

Admiral

Great deal on a vintage aluminum runabout! Congrats. I've got a friend who bought a VERY similar 1967 Cadillac 14' aluminum and he's rebuilding it to be a fishing boat...so he is opting to cut out the entire bow covering so that I have a place to fish on a nice casting platform.:)

His is rated for up to a 40hp outboard so I would assume yours is in that ballpark as well.

Classic style and I would venture a guess that "they don't make 'em like that anymore" and it should be a very solid boat with some new flooring and seating.

Good idea to throw some flotation foam under the flooring especially since you mention hitting the water with the whole family.

Good luck w/ the project!:D

link to Cadillac boat pictures: http://www.fiberglassics.com/cadillac/cadillacb57005.jpg

Nice find, I just picked up a similar Duracraft in similar condition. Started on the teardown and clean up yesterday. Nothing left of the windscreen except for the mounting tabs on mine. If you happen to find any information on a replacement could you send me a pm? Oh before I forget, mine has a mercury 58ae with quicksilver controls still intact and the looks seems to fit the boat well.

sschefer

Rear Admiral

Great boat and a fun project. One person mentioned clearing the title. I absolutely agree that this is the #1 step.

A lot of times boats fall out of the system and then pop back up in Wills or someone just happens to find the original title in a drawer or shoe box and goes looking for the boat.

If you don't have a squeaky clean title you could end up having to give your beautifully restored boat back to the orignal owner or worse, some estate scrounge, and the only thing you'll be able to say is "You're Welcome".

GuyGene

Recruit

I can testify to the durability of DuraCraft boats. I have one my Dad bought when I was 8, in 1957, and it was used when he bought it! I used it Saturday, November 6, 2010! Mine is 14' rounded bottom like one in your photo, but not the runabout style. We have been using this boat HEAVILY since 1957! Nary a problem, never a leak. I absolutely love the lines of these DuraCraft boats, not the newer flat bottom jon boat style, but the style like yours. Please post updates on your project to restore it! I just found this site, searching internet for DuraCraft boats.

sprintst

Commander

It looks well built and a cool boat to boot.

Clear the title, strip it down to the bare aluminum, replace any wood in it with epoxy coated marine plywood, sand her down with 80 grit to give the paint to bite to. Wipe it down with Xylene, zinc chromate coat it before priming and paint.

Post some pics of the rebuild and pics enjoying the boat with your family after. Do it up right and maybe we'll see it again on the forum in 2060.

STGSN

Recruit
Re: Duracraft Aluminum Boat

Re: Duracraft Aluminum Boat

I was given one like that around 6 yrs ago in Arizona.It was parked in my backyard till I got transfered up to NASWI in Oak Harbor Wasington. Now that Im serounded by water I'm working on it. Picked up a 1958 evinrude 18 hp for it at a good price because I left the seahorse 35 in az.I should of brought that engine with but at the time thoght I would buy new. Good luck on your project.

1954duracraft

Recruit
I found an old Duracraft Aluminum boat behind a barn on the property I just bought. It is a really neat looking boat and I would like to possibly restore it (within reason) to a usable vessel for me and my family. I know nothing about boats, but am pretty mechanically inclined. I do not have a picture of it yet, but I have attached a picture that I found on this forum that resembles the one that I found. It has two cockpits, but without a pass-through, and the operator seat is in the front cockpit on the port side. It also looks like it originally had a short plexiglass windshield that has been broken off down to the mounts. Anyone who could direct or advise me on how to start such a project and who might be able to share with me exactly what I have would be appreciated.
I know this post is old, but how did you go about getting a windshield? I just picked up a 1954 Duracraft and mine is missing the windshield and mounts. Can’t seem to find any information or a clear picture of what the mounts or windshield should even look like. Thanks for any help

southkogs

Staff member
@1954duracraft - please stop posting in old topics. It's against the forum rules. Take a moment and review those rules, and then start a new topic of your own.

Status
Not open for further replies.