Help finding the part number

saf

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I am installing a new outdrive (DP-SM 1.95 P/N 3868913). Unfortunately, the old one was removed by a VP tech, so, I did not see how the grounding cables were connected. I am seeing a loose grounding wire connected to the pivot housing. VP shop manual has no mentioning of this wire. I am also not seeing it on any of VP parts diagrams. The loose end has no connector crimped to it (maybe a damaged wire?). Does anyone know where this wire should go? Also, I'd like to replace said wire with a new one (given its condition). How do I find the correct part number?

dubs283

Vice Admiral
Volvo uses a continuity strap for the bellows and water passage hose clamps. Possibly one or more of the ends has broken off

saf

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Volvo uses a continuity strap for the bellows and water passage hose clamps. Possibly one or more of the ends has broken off
Yes, my thoughts exactly. Workshop manual goes in all details about connecting it in bellows replacement section, but no mentioning of grounding wires in pivot housing removal section. My leading guess is that this wire should go under water hose clamp, but I see no traces of broken off peace...

dubs283

Vice Admiral
I can't recall immediately if the sx-m bell housing has a continuity strap, I work on so few of those transom assys. The bellows don't suffer near as quick a fate as mercs

Its possible there is no strap for the bell housing and Volvo relies on the anodes/continuity to the drive for protection

As I see it the straps for the clamps are superfluous, mercury does not use them but also uses a strap for the bell housing and more anodes than Volvo

Fwiw I've seen way more corrosion on Volvo drive/transom assys than mercs