Help finding info or anything really on my old west bend

snowseeker

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I picked up a west bend motor just the other day and cannot find anything about it at all. It seems west bend made lots of motors for go carts and I see lots about 35hp and up west bends but nothing on this older smaller one.

I picked it up to simply clean up and put in my parents bait shop for people to look at. It does have good compression and turns over nice and free so I am sure I could get it to run which would be just for my own personal satisfaction.

Anyhow I would love to see a pic in its original state/color/etc. Any info about it would also be a plus like hp, age, and stuff. Thanks much!

3wmj.jpg

74vd.jpg

89jc.jpg

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: Help finding info or anything really on my old west bend

That is unusual to say the least. Off hand, I'd say somebody has mounted a kart engine on an old outboard frame. At least the age/design is years apart.

FYI, West Bend made zillions of motors under the Elgin label for Sears. But nothing resembling this one.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

I'm guessing prior to 1955 built for export. 2 hp air cooled.
probably 1 3/4" bore X 1 9/16 Stroke. 2hp @ 4000 rpm.
Head may not be removable.Your leg is completely different from 55 motors
with the exhaust right under the motor.
Didn't market motors in the US under West Bend name until 1955.
West Bend began supplying motors to Sears In 1946 under the Elgin name.

snowseeker

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks!

That is right, the head is not removable. I looked over the mounting and all pretty good and can't see any "home made" work to get the motor to fit and work on a different lower section. From the few pics of older west bend outboards I seen the exhaust is different on this one. However it has the pegs off the exhaust to hold the motor up when layed on the floor to protect the spark plug. I also found out while searching the "featherweight" part on the tag throws the search off. I don't see any markings on the leg at all, should it have a number or name or something on it somewhere?

snowseeker

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The leg does look familiar to this one:

151439553_tp.jpg

F_R

Supreme Mariner

OMG, there ya go....A West bend kart engine on an old Mae West Water Witch lower. The Water witch predates the kart engine by a long shot. Amazing how clever some of these guys get when they cobble something up. How about when Mr Fageol took a Crosley car engine, turned it up on end and slapped it on a Scott-Atwater lower and "invented" what was to become the Homelite outboard?

snowseeker

Petty Officer 3rd Class

It is very interesting. I will have to inspect the motor closer now and see how it is mated. I know looking before it all looks totally like factory! Even the handle (that twists to work throttle) bolts on tot he top of the leg just like a factory piece, no welding, grind marks, etc.

But now that I know what I know it would be nice to find a waterwitch powerhead and exhaust. :)

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

That little hole in the anti vent plate could be for the water pickup probably just a bent tube to push water up to the old powerhead.

snowseeker

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks for the link!

I posted up an add to see if anyone close has something around. I also email the original owner to see if he happens to know where the original motor is (long shot). The more I look at pictures of the dual tank water witch the more I want to original motor!

My collection has started! lol Hope the wife understands when I have a lineup of 20+ motors eventually. :)

snowseeker

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Here is a couple pics of the Flambeau and a Clinton I picked up last week.

qjji.jpg

nzz8.jpg

l46p.jpg