Help explain, dirty flame arrester pulls extra oil from the crankcase vent 88 3.0

tubenewb

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Still trying to figure out the cause of my excessive crankcase flame arrestor vent drip..Came across this on the web a couple times...This doesnt make sense to me. Does anyone else agree with this?
I am thinking the more its blocked the less air it would pull???? Maybe this particular engine had a pcv system on it?? more vaccum to the valve with a dirty arrester?
Thanks

dollarten

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Help explain, dirty flame arrester pulls extra oil from the crankcase vent 88 3.

Still trying to figure out the cause of my excessive crankcase flame arrestor vent drip..Came across this on the web a couple times...This doesnt make sense to me. Does anyone else agree with this?
I am thinking the more its blocked the less air it would pull???? Maybe this particular engine had a pcv system on it?? more vacuum to the valve with a dirty arrester?
Thanks
This engine does not have a very elaborate crankcase venting system . All there is is a hose that directs excess crankcase fumes to the flame arrestor that you are talking about . There is no PCV system . If you are getting excess oil in the flame aresstor you may have a little blow -by . A little oil dampness is normal

picklenjim

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Help explain, dirty flame arrester pulls extra oil from the crankcase vent 88 3.

Sounds to me like your engine has a lot of blow by if your getting oil dripping from the vent hose at the flame arrester. You could do a cylinder leak down test to determine the condition of your rings. Basically it sounds like it's creating to much crankcase pressure.

tubenewb

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks guys, I have posted before on the subject here:
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=510014

I did the compresion test, I took the oil I had in there with zinc additive out. and went with merc stuff.no change
Comp test showed 150psi across the board warm and dry..
Plugs look great.. Only thing I havnt done yet is a leakdown test.. I guess that is the last thing to try ..
pop the oil fill cap off while its running and it seems very calm in there..(bad test)(hand over hole)
Possibly in the guides??? or leaky rings...
could there be excessive blow by on the rings and still get a good compresion test?? I was told the 150 was very good

Thanks again