Turbojet Flushing Service Port

Hi,
I have a 98 4 Winns Fling (turbojet) with a 115 hp OMC engine. (115TJEUC).
I picked up a "flush kit"(0437021) from my local dealer. It is threaded for hose and a has a half inch stem at a 90 degree angle with two grooves for O rings. I came home and am looking for the port/hose/inlet. The only thing I see is an open hole at the top of the jet housing an inch to the right of the jet actuation linkage. The hole is a tad too small for the flush nipple to be inserted. Is this the right spot/part. Hints...suggestions?
Thx much

juaquimdeoro

Recruit
Re: Turbojet Flushing Service Port

Pop the impeller/nozzle assembly off, it's the hole top center.

Thx for the reply. However, I know cars pretty much bow to stern....boats...I am a newbie. Are you saying to disconnect the steering/thrust linkages and taking the "cover" off the jet drive to find the hole? Or is it more involved? Thx again.

juaquimdeoro

Recruit

Well, first off, make sure you order the service manual, a must have if you're going to be doing work yourself. I pop off the steering linkage, but leave the clamshell linkage in place, as there is plenty of slack to slide the housing off with it in place. The "cover" is actually the thrust nozzle with the impeller mounted in it, when you undo the latch on each side of the housing it should slide right off, leaving the splined end of the shaft visible, as well as the hole for flushing. Assuming things have been well lubricated and it does slide right off, it's very easy. There is no cooling impeller like an outboard, this design instead uses the thrust generated by drive impeller to force water through a hole in the housing and up through the motor.

AH! Excellent. Thank you very much. I picked up a Clymer manual....can't find a source for the OE manual(s). (The Clymer says something along the lines of refer to model specific documentation...yeah ok)
I have read other posts about keeping the water pressure down (cylinder leakage) and not running the engine very long as there is basically no load on it. Any thoughts?
Thx very much again.

juaquimdeoro

Recruit

You're welcome. You can pick up the factory manual from www.outboardbooks.com, sometimes on ebay too. I would not run the hose pressure over 20psi, and yes, I would not run it too long, although it's not as big an issue since the impeller is not attached and spinning in free air. Also, I wouldn't turn on the hose with the motor not running, as I've heard of issues with flooding the cylinders.

tmfeaster

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The flushing kit is great... and yes... run the engine at idle while flushing and keep the hose pressure at 20psi... no more. If you don't run the engine you will get water in your bottom cylinders. I learned that first hand and had to fix that quickly!!