Help determining if I have a seized motor or lower unit issue

ThomW

Chief Petty Officer
How do I determine gear ratio on my unit? If I go used, do I need the same style--with the pre-loaded pin, or not? I guess that same question applies if I decided to go the SEI route. What exactly does the pin do? I know it assists in getting the gears to engage, but I am unclear on it's exact purpose and what would happen if I buy a lower unit without that same drive shaft? Thanks for the help with this Dukedog.

Dukedog

Captain
99.9% yours is 1.87 ta 1... most will be 1.87 except tha 2.0 liter motors... they will be 2 ta 1's.. XR 4/6's with 4 1/4 hub will be 1.78's.. they are easily identified with havin' ONLY 4 water intake holes and tha 4 1/4 inch in dia. hub....."ANY" 2.0, 2.4, 2.5 V6 from 1976 ta whenever they quit makin' tha "little" motor and went to tha 3 liter exclusively will work...

thing 'bout tha preloard stuff is its internals will not not work in anything but a preload case and they are a tad weaker (so they say) than later non-preload stuff... but say again ANY 2.0,2.4,2,5 (non 3.0 liter) complete gearcase will all bolt up to your motor....

compressin' tha "pin" actually holds tha top gear case bearing in place... its compressed into tha crank when tha gear case is installed.... better ta buy later non-preload... i never had a problem with tha pre-load, even runnin' tons a horse power but lotsa folks did....

really think ya gonna have ta make some decisions on fixin' tha motor first.. not gonna be cheap..... gl.

Last edited: