Help Deciding on First Boat?!?

dubya1982

Seaman Apprentice
New member here. I've been lurking on the forum and reading your posts and I've found them very informative. So thank you to all for the great info!

My wife and I have finally decided that we are ready to buy our first boat and we just need a little help deciding what is right for our needs. We want to go with a pontoon because we like to swim, fish, have friends, and we just think it would be the most comfortable choice for us. We also want one with enough power to pull a skier or a tuber. I've getting lots of conflicting info from salesman (of course) so I thought I'd just ask some unbiased experts.

We are buying a used and most that we have liked are in the 22 foot to 26 foot range. The engines range from 50HP to 115HP.

Will you give me your opinions? I appreciate any and all help!

Here are a couple of links if you'd like to see a couple of examples.
***SUPER MINT***05 FISHER 180 LIBERTY 50HP *WOW* 50HRS in Powerboats & Motorboats | eBay Motors

or

***SUPER MINT*** 05 BENNINGTON 2575 RFS 115HP *WOW* 170HRS in Powerboats & Motorboats | eBay Motors

lncoop

Vice Admiral
Re: Help Deciding on First Boat?!?

Welcome aboard, dubya. I noticed those were Little Rock listings. Are you in central Arkansas? Just curious. In any case, a couple of questions to help us dial it in for you. First, how many do you typically expect to have aboard? Second, will you be towing it on a regular basis, slipping it, dry storing close to a lake, or what? Third, what's your budget? We need to know how much of your money we get to spend.:laugh:

Now, as to the criteria you've already set forth; for skiing and tubing a fifty horse won't cut it unless we're talking about an eighteen foot barge, and you've already mentioned the 22 to 26 foot range. I'd suggest a minimum horsepower of ninety, and on a barge over 22 feet you'll likely want even more for watersports. That's about all I can say until you provide a little more info.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

If you want to pull a skier with a toon, I gotta think you'd be looking at MINIMUM 90HP, perhaps more. For a tube, you'd probably also want 90+ for it to be any kind of fun.

dubya1982

Seaman Apprentice

Welcome aboard, dubya. I noticed those were Little Rock listings. Are you in central Arkansas? Just curious. In any case, a couple of questions to help us dial it in for you. First, how many do you typically expect to have aboard? Second, will you be towing it on a regular basis, slipping it, dry storing close to a lake, or what? Third, what's your budget? We need to know how much of your money we get to spend.:laugh:

Now, as to the criteria you've already set forth; for skiing and tubing a fifty horse won't cut it unless we're talking about an eighteen foot barge, and you've already mentioned the 22 to 26 foot range. I'd suggest a minimum horsepower of ninety, and on a barge over 22 feet you'll likely want even more for watersports. That's about all I can say until you provide a little more info.

Thanks so much for the response!

I'm not in Arkansas, I'm actually in Northeast Oklahoma (Lake Tenkiller, if you're familiar).

Tubing and skiing will be a regular thing on our new 'toon. We will usually have 4 to 6 people aboard, occasionally we will have up to 10. Budget wise, $25K is the most we would want to spend. During the boating season April to September we will probably keep it at our house which is only 20 miles from the lake, during the winter we will store it at a boat storage place.

I hope this helps you answer some of my questions.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

With watersports being a priority, you might get more enjoyment out of a deck boat.

dubya1982

Seaman Apprentice

With watersports being a priority, you might get more enjoyment out of a deck boat.

I've looked at them and they are just too dang expensive. I can't find any that are in my price range.

Although we powersports will be a regular thing, we will also be fishing quite a bit. I'm a newby to boat ownership. I've ski'd, I've ridden, but I've never driven a boat. Do you think a 25 footer is too big for a starter boat? I read a different thread that said people shouldn't ever start out with a boat bigger than 21 foot. Just wondered your opinion?

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

A 25' V hull boat would be a little big for a starter but I don't think a toon that big would be unmanageable.

lncoop

Vice Admiral

You should have no trouble finding a deck boat within your budget if that's the only reason you've decided on a toon, but I won't get into that since you've asked specifically about toons. For your size crew a 22 footer should be plenty. You'll find all sorts of configurations; fishing, fish and cruise, watersports, cruising, etc. I'm not saying you should pass on a bigger barge if you fall in love with it, but a 22 footer will be a little easier to tow, more maneuverable on the water, require less horsepower, and there will probably be quite a few available in your price range, maybe even some triple toon models. If you find something that tickles your fancy and want some specific advice post it up and we'll be glad to help. Just remember said advice will be worth what you pay for it.:eek: Happy hunting.

Old Screwball

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ya can't have too much knowledge. We own an 18' Tracker Party Barge. The largest engine allowed for this boat is 75hp, we ordered it. We tried 3 props, a 13, 15, and 17. The absolutely best we could do was 24mph at 5600 rpm. not that thrilling a tube ride, and a definite nix for skiing. My neighbor has a 23' with a 115 hp motor (also Merc) and I'm faster, acceleration and top end. Unless you are pulling very experienced and very light skiers it won't be much fun.

Pontoons are a major kick in the ***, we love ours. BUT for the most part they aren't fast enough or have the acceleration for skiers.... unless you want to drop a whole bunch of bucks for a high horse power Tri-Toon

Good Luck.

MaPaHa

Petty Officer 1st Class

I can relate to the conflicting information you get out there. I’ve grown up around boats, skiing, fishing and water sports and have owned a boat of one kind or another since I was 17 years old. It was about 8-10 years ago that I got into pontoon boats because the family (and now grand kids) don’t get a kick out of the 70mph bass fish & ski boat like I do :( I didn’t know a thing about pontoon boats but was sure I could build a go-fast pontoon boat and I’m still learning.

I started out cheap because I had no clue what I wanted or if I even wanted one. It was a 24 foot deck with 27 foot 19” tubes and an 85hp motor. It also had a brand new trailer which I still use. As far as skiing goes; that DID NOT happen. It would barely pull a tuber and unless the person weighed 125 pounds or more you couldn’t turn sharp enough to get them out of the wake. Straight behind the boat was all for the little folks. After learning more I wasn’t willing to put any money on top of 19” tubes.

My next pontoon was a used 20 foot deck with 23 foot 23” tubes which was a much better boat worth re-furbishing. It came with a 40hp which I never put in the water. The boat came home and the motor came off and the 85 went on. It was better for tubing but still not there for skiing. I had a long heavy duty transom built at a local sheetmetal/welding shop for the previous boat so I used it and upgraded to a 140hp motor. Starting to get there… but still not satisfied with handling and turning for tubing and speed for skiing.

Next I added a “Pontoon Water Glide” and skinned the bottom side of the boat and instantly got to the level it took for turning, handling and the speed for tubing (without full throttle) but wide open for skiing. The product does what they claim! I searched out a four bladed “pontoon” prop from Power-Tech to get the max out of the boat. As far as what I wanted from a pontoon boat, I was now satisfied but at the minimum.

Trying to improve it, I took the water glide off and replaced it with a third pontoon with lifting strakes hoping it would speed up as well as improve flotation, improve storage space with an in-floor compartment and an in-board fuel tank. I like the storage, getting rid of the outboard fuel tanks, the handling, and the overall performance but no gain in speed compared to the water glide (but much better than the original two tubes). I later added lifting strakes to the outer tubes and now I’m replacing the old 140hp rated at the crankshaft with a 150hp rated at the prop that’s 18 years newer. In reality my 140hp is probably equivalent to a later model 125hp. The boat already has a hole shot that you wouldn’t believe but now I’m hoping to get to around 35mph with the 150hp and a new prop.

That’s a long story but my thoughts are that anything less than a 115-125 on a twin tube boat in the 22 foot range is not going to do what you want based on what you mentioned. Even with a motor this size, expect wide open throttle to ski and long turns with difficulty getting the little guys outside the wake on a tube. Going straight will be fine.

If you find a boat that you like in the 20-22 foot range with a 115-125 hp but find out that it doesn’t perform well enough for your liking, the first thing I would do is skin the underneath side with aluminum sheeting all the way down to the tubes. This will take the splash and convert much of it into lift instead of the drag you get when water hits the floor joist. If you’re getting close on performance then next I would buy a nice prop from someone that can help you select the right one for the application. The guys at Power-Tech are great. If, after the aluminum skin (and before the prop) you are not there yet and you want to spend a few bucks, then I would do the “Pontoon Water Glide” but expect to make a change in the prop. The water glide was no doubt the “biggest bang for the buck” of anything I did. I would tell you I have it for sale but I’m going to keep it in case I need it on another boat of mine, friends or family.

The next level up is the Tri-Toon boat with lifting strakes in the 22-24 foot range with a 150 hp and up motor. This boat will probably do what you want without messing with it but may be harder to find and have a higher price tag.

I would like to hear from anyone that has a 21-24 foot Twin-Tube or Tri-Toon with a 125-150 hp about the real GPS speed you’re getting. What does it take to hit 35mph? What does it take to hit 40mph?

Good luck.

WaterDR

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Around here, decks boat pricing is very much in reach. 25k should get you more than something decent and clean.

I just spent a lot of time helping a friend buy one, he spent more like mid 30's, but got a 26 foot crownline.

I say plenty of stuff in the 22 foot range in the low 20's and teens.

WaterDR

Senior Chief Petty Officer

You can buy a 24 foot Bentley with a third toon and a 150 for about 30k no trailer brand new. They seem to be about the most affordable toons, yet still have a lot of nice stuff.

Silver Eagle

Master Chief Petty Officer

I started out with a 12 ft alumn. boat with a 7-1/2 hp Craftsmen out board ,and then a 17 ft alumn with a 75 hp Merc ob. but my best boat was a 21 ft Arriva I/o with a 230hp engine. It held 6 people two adults and 4 kids and two sets of water skies. it would do about 50 on calm water Oh and it was a bow rider.. now we have a 24 ft Pontoon (tank) boat. with a 90 hp Merc. It has no power steering and it steers like a big truck when wide open doing 24 mph.If you like speed and water towing rafts go with the bow rider. Lots of Fun. Now if you have to get a toon don't buy new there are lots of toons out there cheaper then 30 G's, I got mine in 09 ,it was two years old with a trailer for Less the 18,000. This year i'm selling mine for around $11,000 complete. Nothing wrong with it just i'm 71 and I want a smaller boat something that is easy to get into from the water. I like a 18 ft center console boat with a 90 merc on the back. ..

junkman41

Petty Officer 1st Class

I've looked at them and they are just too dang expensive. I can't find any that are in my price range.

Although we powersports will be a regular thing, we will also be fishing quite a bit. I'm a newby to boat ownership. I've ski'd, I've ridden, but I've never driven a boat. Do you think a 25 footer is too big for a starter boat? I read a different thread that said people shouldn't ever start out with a boat bigger than 21 foot. Just wondered your opinion?

My prevous boat was a 14' 7.5 hp for fishing, I jumped up to a 24' pontoon and did not have any problems operating it.
you should be fine

BobGinCO

Chief Petty Officer

My 24 foot tritoon with the 115 has never seen the high side of 24 MPH. You're gonna want at LEAST a 150.

lncoop

Vice Admiral

My 24 foot tritoon with the 115 has never seen the high side of 24 MPH. You're gonna want at LEAST a 150.

On the other side of the coin, my 21 foot Suntracker with two tubes, a beat up prop and a weak cylinder does 27 (according to GPS) with a ninety horse. So many variables. 24 feet is more than he needs IMHO.

airdvr1227

Lieutenant Commander

Disclaimer: I sell Hurricane Deckboats and Bennington pontoon boats so I am biased. Take a look at this link. Standard HP is a Yamaha 115.

BobGinCO

Chief Petty Officer

On the other side of the coin, my 21 foot Suntracker with two tubes, a beat up prop and a weak cylinder does 27 (according to GPS) with a ninety horse. So many variables. 24 feet is more than he needs IMHO.

Hah - my 115 probably only puts out 90 HP at the elevations I run! She's a heavy rig, too! But don't you need about 40 MPH for skiing?

lncoop

Vice Admiral

Hah - my 115 probably only puts out 90 HP at the elevations I run! She's a heavy rig, too! But don't you need about 40 MPH for skiing?

Yeah, I keep forgetting about the effect elevation has. I'm definitely not an expert, but I think skiing has more to do with hole shot than mph (up to a point; a certain speed is definitely required, just not sure what it is). It's funny, when I was growing up the "rich folk" went to the lake on Saturday and the "real rich folk" had lake houses and "big" pontoon boats. A big pontoon boat was a 24 footer with an 88 horsepower outboard. The family would tow the ski boat up there and drop mom and the little kids at the slip to uncover the barge and putter out to a cove while Dad and the big kids skied and kneeboarded til they got tired or hungry and went to find the barge for lunch and lounging. I knew several families who were really good about taking other peoples' kids with them (I was often one of said kids) and I remember watching a buddy slalom behind one of those 24 footers to prove it could be done (there was a big debate back then). Times they have changed!