Help decide '97 Chapparal 1930 ss v8

KFS

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Just looked at 19.5' Chapparal 1930 ss merc v8, sport seating. (ETA it's a 19' '96 and the seller was completely confused about that until we pulled out the registration and showed him. Getting a weird vibe here).

Husband and son love it (fast and handles great)

Daughter and I don't love the color or sport seating (eats floor space) and carpet. No bimini (we wouldn't even use it but it's kind of the point that it's missing something). Original Chap cover (loose grey thing with some mildew stains).

Second owner so it was stored indoors for years and shrink wrapped (outdoors) in marina one year. Boat has some staining on waterline (inland Ohio lakes = muddy water). Advertised it as "Mint" but do lake water stains really qualify? Claims we can buy a product to clean that off. I always wonder why sellers want us to think it's "So easy" but not so easy that they will do it themselves? :)

Nice Chapparral trailer with six new tires.

Priced at $8995 and I don't know If I'm wrong to be so picky about cosmetics like carpet and colors when husband (who drives it all day) is happy with the handling.

Just would like to be excited about spending this much and I feel we are talking ourselves into it. I don't want to say too much for fear of offending someone (tastes vary) but I am not excited about the color. At all.

jkust

Rear Admiral
Re: Help decide '97 Chapparal 1930 ss v8

If you want to be excited about the cosmetics, take a look at the next gen of Chaparrals when they retired that hull and significantly updated the build and hardware quality. Right around 2001ish which is the patent date on the hull design but the kicker is that they built that those exact hulls and interiors for another 8 years. The hull you are talking about is really dated with it's quirk where the windshield meets the stern while the interior is actually decent for the day. Also the small 01's on up will have a fiberglass floor with snap out carpet. By the way our family absoulutely loves the sport seating with all of its lounging space. I wouldn't want back to back seating for anything. By the way Chaparrals are known for a lot of things but fast they are not relative to similar but lighter boats as most are.
What other boats are you looking at?

Tagerman

Seaman

I had a 97 2130 with the 5.7 merc in it. I for one think that Chap. makes one of the best bowriders available period. I had mine for a solid 8 years with no problems not even a soft spot on the floor. I still refer to it as one of the best boats I have ever owned. Those things will spoil you with the way they handle and ride. I would have someone who knew how to check for transom and floor rot have a look and also have the motor and drive checked out (as with any boat). If everything checks out I would say go for it you won't regret buying a Chaparral, you will only regret selling one.

DB Cooper

Cadet

Slim pickens in my area for boats in that size/price range, personally I would jump on it. I would only buy sport seating myself. As long as the color isn't some terrible 80's aqua then don't get too picky about a 15 year old boat. I had a chance to buy that exact boat last year and didn't jump on it quick enough, still kicking myself over it.

It is true that the next generation Chap SSI is a far superior boat, but a 196 ssi will cost you about 4k+ more IF you can find one.

KFS

Petty Officer 3rd Class

What I love is the Four Winns 190 of the same era.

Turns out the boat is a 96 and he's the third owner. Has owned it five weeks and has a story for that but Im feeling wary. The boat is clean and not worn. It's a white/hunter green/cream color combo.

Would have it checked out of course but not sure I want to even pursue it.

KFS

Petty Officer 3rd Class

96 Chapparal 1930 ss V8 8995.JPG1996 Chapparal 1930 ss V8 8995.JPG1996 Chapparal.JPG1996 Chapparal 1930 ss V8 8995 3.JPG

Just not feeling it. Trying to work up the excitement but both daughter and I (she's a very level headed 13 yo and is probably the main reason we have a boat) aren't feeling it.

I really think we are finding Four Winns are what make our hearts to pitter patter. I just know how scarce bow riders are around these parts and I hope we don't end up never finding one.

DB Cooper

Cadet

I didn't even look at who had started this thread... I hope my response didn't seem repetitive from the responses I have made in your other thread.

Anyway, it is hard to consider other boats when you get stuck on a particular one. Last season I was stuck mainly on Bryant's and I remember looking at a 97 Four Winns and passing on it, I just couldn't get pass the instrumentation- single piece printed gauge cluster like in a car. I had read elsewhere that if one instrument goes you have to replace the entire package which is not made anymore. I do not know if this is true or not. But now, I would seriously consider that boat if I had it to do over again. Not trying to tell you what to do or influence you in anyway, just to keep an open mind in the search. Although there are boats that just don't do anything for me, 90s Sea Rays and The Regals with the sideview mirrors.

KFS

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I didn't even look at who had started this thread... I hope my response didn't seem repetitive from the responses I have made in your other thread.

Anyway, it is hard to consider other boats when you get stuck on a particular one. Last season I was stuck mainly on Bryant's and I remember looking at a 97 Four Winns and passing on it, I just couldn't get pass the instrumentation- single piece printed gauge cluster like in a car. I had read elsewhere that if one instrument goes you have to replace the entire package which is not made anymore. I do not know if this is true or not. But now, I would seriously consider that boat if I had it to do over again. Not trying to tell you what to do or influence you in anyway, just to keep an open mind in the search. Although there are boats that just don't do anything for me, 90s Sea Rays and The Regals with the sideview mirrors.

Bryants <drool>.

I appreciate your input here very much.

The Chap does seem like a better built boat (at least for this particular model versus that one). Just little things like the swim deck/ladder situation being so much nicer than on the Four Winns we looked at. Mama's not as young and limber as she used to be and a good ladder is necessity. :)

I really appreciate your input because I don't want to constantly look back and say "oops should have taken that one, or that one, or that one." At some point in this price point I have to let some of our picky things go.

Not to mention my son (15) is delighted at the idea that we could name it "The Booger Boarder" ;)

DB Cooper

Cadet

I have come to the conclusion that I need to be pretty open to many makes and models.The most important thing is that the boat and drivetrain are solid. Hey, if I don't like I will just sell it next season. As we've seen in our areas this size/price range is a SELLERS market. Of course with my luck that will change and the market will be flooded next season.

KFS

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I have come to the conclusion that I need to be pretty open to many makes and models.The most important thing is that the boat and drivetrain are solid. Hey, if I don't like I will just sell it next season. As we've seen in our areas this size/price range is a SELLERS market. Of course with my luck that will change and the market will be flooded next season.

You must have our luck! We don't even PRETEND to be great at selling things. We always take a hit because I don't have the patience to wait. If I don't get it sold in three days, I have to lower the price.

Had a long talk with a friend who is a first owner of a 2000 Chaparral (gorgeous boat). He let me crawl all over his "so meticulously maintained you could lick it" boat and I came to the conclusion that the one we looked at it just as spotless. No fading. No cracking, and the carpet looks nearly new. No vibrations when we drove it and planed out quickly. He pointed out that the $600+ in brand-new tires on the tandem trailer was great. Turns out our friends were boating on the same lake and had noticed and pointed out the same boat (as near as we can tell) so even if I am not sold on the beauty of this boat, at least my friends who may have to look at me in it like the view :)

Tagerman

Seaman

At my marina which is a very small marina there are 15 Chaparral's of that era (most are 1930 with a few 2130 and 2330) in the dry storage and the Marina sells Regal's and has for the last 15 years. These are great boats!

jkust

Rear Admiral

it is true that the next generation Chap SSI is a far superior boat, but a 196 ssi will cost you about 4k+ more IF you can find one.

The majority of the Chaps I see for sale locally are few but are either really old like 1980's or newer but very large which works with very small minority of our lakes and winter storage space. Those 18 and 19 footers get snatched up quickly if they ever come on the market at all.

The pics look nice but I couldn't judge it by pics. Why does the current owner say he just bought it and is now selling?

DB Cooper

Cadet

All of the 1830ss and 1930ss in my area are bought up within 24hrs. I have seen quite a few but are gone in no time.

BTW, Chaps are a step up over Four Winns.

fen-isl

Seaman

I just bought an 1996 1930 sport 3 weeks ago, I had looked at many boats, had really wanted a Glastron, had an ssv190 for 8 years sold it when wife had a hard time getting pregnant. was a very well built boat, and there are still tons of glastrons from the 60,s 70,s 80,s on the water just look on line, I am trying a I/O for the first time always had outboards, where i boat mostly is shallow water but want to start taking it to the Delaware River and everyone up there swears by I/O's, so for the last year have looked at too many boats to count, and Chaparral kept coming back to me, Just the little things they do and the quality of materials, I am a very fussy person, drives wife crazy, I found this 1930 online, almost didn't look at it because I read comments from a few years ago where guys on the internet have said go for the newer ssi's. Well drove 1 1/2 hrs was a fresh water boat, turns out guys was just as picky as I am, wanted a sport model but ended up with a SST with Captain chair and pass seat is back to back, Lots more room especially with a 6week old baby and a 2 year old, The sport model looks better but not as functional unless you plan to use the sunpad for sunning. My boat has the 200hp 4.3 and it has plenty of get up and go, couldn't be happier, not too worried about the carpet over plywood as I never leave me boats in the water, always pull them flush em and wash em . I also like my boats as shiney as my corvette and this boat is navy blue and very glossy, no tears and engine looks new, even the oil looks new after having it out a couple a times. What I am saying to you is its a well built boat, if you can get past the color of the boat your considering and everything mechanical check out you shouldn't be disappointed. Plus your boat has the v8 so it should really get up and go for 3000lb boat. If its in your budget and checks out get it, chaps hold there value so you wouldn't lose much if you didn't like it. Whats the owner telling you as to why he's selling it after 5weeks?

KFS

Petty Officer 3rd Class

All of the 1830ss and 1930ss in my area are bought up within 24hrs. I have seen quite a few but are gone in no time.

BTW, Chaps are a step up over Four Winns.

From your lips to God's ears. It's being inspected as we speak. :)

Owner lives between Ohio and FL. Bought boat to enjoy upon return to Ohio. Says he just putts around the lake and wife wants to bring elderly mother-in-law out to enjoy the ride and can't get sweet little old lady in the boat. They have a lead on a friend's Pontoon up for sale due to a divorce, and now want the pontoon instead.

jkust

Rear Admiral

From your lips to God's ears. It's being inspected as we speak. :)

Owner lives between Ohio and FL. Bought boat to enjoy upon return to Ohio. Says he just putts around the lake and wife wants to bring elderly mother-in-law out to enjoy the ride and can't get sweet little old lady in the boat. They have a lead on a friend's Pontoon up for sale due to a divorce, and now want the pontoon instead.

Also further to DB Cooper's comment, try finding one for sale in the off season.

KFS

Petty Officer 3rd Class

It passed! :)

Mechanic said it's great and if he had to find anything wrong it's that the lift/hinge on one side of the engine cover could use replaced. We knew that. That was it :)

So thrilled!

cyclops2

Banned

I am selling my 2002 Chap 196 SSI with the 5.0L V8 & bolster seats. Every option on the boat. Full sets of canvass tops & never scratched or used side curtains. 176 hours & I bought it new. friend said everything was mint. 10 years with no problems on anything. Trailer is original. With 6 fenders & full sets of 100 mph lifevests. I am giving him the boat for $ 15,000. Full 10 years winterizing record at the marina.

Chaparrals do show up. But not for very long.

DB Cooper

Cadet

It passed! :)

Mechanic said it's great and if he had to find anything wrong it's that the lift/hinge on one side of the engine cover could use replaced. We knew that. That was it :)

So thrilled!

Sounds like you are going to pull the trigger, if so you will be on the lake before the week end. Now I am jealous!

johnmsch

Seaman

I have a '94 2130 SST/Sport and still love it! Keep it garaged and clean it just about every time its taken out. Do all the preventative maintenance myself. These are very well built!