Help choosing rotary polisher pads

rufnek100

Seaman Apprentice
I'm going to hit my faded gelcoat with the rubbing/polishing/waxing routine and plan on investing in a nice rotary polisher to do the job (FYI - I've found some decent prices on "factory reconditioned" models of DeWalt, Makita, and Milwaukee that won't totally break the bank).<br /><br />I've been researching which kind of pads to use for each step and am now really confused (information overload!). I'm thinking a wool compounding pad for the rubbing compounding step (3M Imperial rubbing compound) and a wool/synthetic blend polishing pad for the polishing step (3M Finesse-It II compound). I think both of those should be applied with around 1500 rpms (right?). Also, which compounds go on dry and which ones should be applied with a moist applicator? I also see references to "spur" the pads to clean them and I'm not sure what this means or where to find one of these gadgets. I guess the pads gunk up after while, right?<br /><br />And what should you use between steps to remove the compounding residue - do I have to rewash to ensure there's no residual compound left before I start the next step?<br /><br />Finally, what kind of pad to use for the waxing (3M Marine Ultra Performance paste wax)? I see foam pads out there, but am not sure when those come into play or if wax should only be buffed by hand. I was going to buff it with the polisher at 700 rpms or so.<br /><br />The 3M Hookit SBS pad system appears like the way to go, albeit a little more expensive for the initial setup. I'm trying to stick with 3M products since they're reputable and a little higher cost up front is worth it to me to have sommething that's going to last.<br /><br />Any recommendations out there from experience?

Realgun

Commander
Re: Help choosing rotary polisher pads

I also see references to "spur" the pads to clean them and I'm not sure what this means or where to find one of these gadgets. I guess the pads gunk up after while, right?<br />
Yes the pads load up.<br />Its called a paint stir stick :) Just run the buffer upside down and rub the stick back and forth. make sure the pad is turning away from stick or your gonna get stuck!

rufnek100

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks Realgun - I think I can handle a stir stick...<br /><br />Any thoughts on my other questions?

bigbad4cyl

Petty Officer 1st Class

http://www.topoftheline.com/tolae/polishbuffwax.html ; go with the rolite metal polish ,it works on fiberglass also ,use a wool pad ,,,order three wool cutting pads they will be your friend ,,,you can get a spur on there but dont bother they wont realy work with the wool....just wash them when they get to clogged up......actualy they work best when semi loaded ...............dont bother with the hook it stuff ,to expensive......................for paint clensing go with the ps21 paint clenser ,then for waxing either get the klasse twins,and follow up with some sovernigon ,,,,or just do the twins....never look back,,