help choosing a day sailer

hey guys, in the market for a small day sailer, I'd like a boat that easily trailerable that I can easily launch from a ramp and that has a decent amount of space, I've sailed and raced for years but these little boats are a mystery to me, currently my 2 top choices are a centerboard rhodes 19 and an oday daysailer II, what are some other popular small day sailers?

country_bumpkin

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: help choosing a day sailer

those are two great choices, moving up a few feet would be a Catalina 22, or Macgregor 22

country_bumpkin

Petty Officer 1st Class

Actually I would prefer Oday Daysailer I over the II, more leg room.

cgBosun3

Seaman

Actually I would prefer Oday Daysailer I over the II, more leg room.

Thats true, and they are slightly faster. BUT the DS Is are NOT self-rescuing, so if you dump it, you will be holding onto a mostly sunken boat! Keep that in mind and assess your sailing skills and experience along with the waters you will sail on.
I see you sail out of Hawaii; I used to sail and race Rhodes 19s off Oahu...pretty good sailers in tradewinds, kinda dogs in light airs. Good manners and predictable.

Last edited:

Sailorkj

Cadet

All the above choices are good but my advice is that would be for the Oday. It is a great boat. Keep in mind for whatever you choose you are looking for a daysailor so look for lots of cockpit space and less cabin space. I currently have a PY 23 which is a SUPER boat but I daysail 99% of the time. Lots of cabin space but a very small cockpit. Good luck on whatever you decide.

KJ