Help, broke part on my trailer, can't find replacement !

chrisp929

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So i was moving my bunks around on my 1977 shorelander trailer and broke of a 7/16'' bolt ... NO ONE has U bolts this heavy ANYWHERE .. 1/4" or 3/8" tops ...

any ideas ? my last resort is to buy 7/16'' drill rod, heat it up,to cherry red, bend it around the bunk post and let it cool. I don't know what else to do !

it measures 7/16" x 1.5" between posts, x 3" long.

god help me ! .. evidently there is new style bunk hardware ? No one uses the old football post type anymore ?

DSC01441.jpg

oldjeep

Admiral
Re: Help, broke part on my trailer, can't find replacement !

You could just call a local spring shop and see if they can make you one. Not sure if they will have dies for a 1.5", but I get all my automotive stuff made for about $7 a piece.

G

Go to a truck/trailer spring repair shop they can make one up for you very easily. I have heavy duty ones made for my utility trailer there

sw33ttooth

Chief Petty Officer

almost the same thing happend to my dad and some sway bars we went to a camper place and they told us to try a metal shop. needless to say once we found one they made us a pair for only $5. i would surgest if the rest of your u bolts look like that to replace them all being that rusty hardened steel tends to bust when torq'd on.