Help! Bearing race stuck on axle

Thalasso

Commander
Re: Got the race out! New pics attached

Spindle saver might not be the route to go depending on the amount of heat it took on.You coud have more problems down the road. if the spindle is a bolt on,replace it and be sure.If not you can buy one and have it welded on buy someone who is a certified welder. No need to buy a axle.Been ther done that.

04fxdwgi

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for that link Doug! Does anyone know any more suppliers in Ontraio who sell this?

04FXDwgi, If I get an axle saver like the one in the link above, then since I already used emery paper and nothing sharp is there anymore do I really need to smoothen that surface out even more?

Lastly, I have some bad news. The bottom of the spindle does not look as good at the top where the outer bearings sit. I hope its still usable. Let me know, I'm not sure if it matters since no seal is there and the bearings wouldn't be rolling between the spindle and the race anyways.

Yes, you will need to get all the "high" spots down flush, as they can effect the sleeve, since it hugs the boogered up area pretty tight. Plus, don't forget the sealer on the inside of the sleeve to prevent water wicking between sleeve and shaft.

Looking at that pic, I must say, best of luck. I would have zero faith in that one for it's load carrying ability. Every gouge on that thing is a potential fracture / bent spindle waiting to happen with every pot hole and curb you may come in contact with. If the boat is light enough, may not be a problem, BUT............. Nothing worse than snapping an axle / spindle while going down the road as AAA can't help you on that one.

jeeperman

Lieutenant Commander

Just order up a new axle with hubs.
By the time you have a certified welder spend an hour or two to weld on a new spindle properly, you could have bought two axles.

Mi duckdown

Commander

I To would buy a new axle and have piece of mind.
I'm sure the other side won't look much better.

Jeff-in-PA

Chief Petty Officer

That axle is seriously messed up. If you try to save it for the ride home, you will have to "flat file" around the bearing surfaces to remove all high spots ( as the harley guy mentioned ).

You'll need a good sharp file flat file in either second or finish cut. As you move forward with the file ( they only cut in a forward direction, draggingit back will only dull it ), you must follow the diameter ( contour ) of the axle. Just work on one section at a time and keep moving around the axle so you don't make flat spots.

I highly suggest a very relaxed ( slow ) ride home. If you are home ( not on vacation ), just get another axle.

wellsc1

Petty Officer 1st Class

I agree with buying a new axle. The time and money invested in repairing this one may only get you on the road, but you may forever feel like you may not make it to the ramp or back home in one piece.