Help! Bearing race stuck on axle

E_Man

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi,

I was just arriving at the lake when we pulled in a gas station and I saw my wheel hub smoking. By that time the bearings were gone and the hub was broken. The wheel came right off when we lifted the trailer - luckily it didn't fly off while on route and that each of my two axles can support more than my boat weighs! I drove home on three wheels.

After picking up a new hub, bearings and seal, I packed the new inner bearing and installed it with the seal but when I tried to install the hub it wouldn't go all the way in the axle!

I realized that what was practically stuck to my axle was what was left of the old inner bearings. I tried everything I could for 3 hours at my boat's site to get it off including hammering, prying with a pry bar and flat head - nothing worked and I failed miserably. Does anyone know what I can do to get this stupid race off? I would use a grinder or torch to heat it up but my boat's site doesn't have hydro and I don't have a torch. Is there a trick I can do to get this off? Are these "punched bearings" that are installed differently and need different installation and removal techniques?

Sorry about the bad picture. Thanks for reading...

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 0

04fxdwgi

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Help! Bearing race stuck on axle

Using the MAP gas will only soften the axle even more than it is. Looks like it got pretty hot already, and from the looks of it, and may be junk. Use a "whizzer" cut off wheel or a dremel and grind a grove in the race along the axle line, cutting as deep as you can without cutting into the axle itself. Then take a nice sharp chisel, set it in the grove and give her a smack. Only smack it once at a time, don't "beat on it", until the race splits along that cut line (you should hear the snap). When that happens, race will expand and slide right off. Clean up the axle w/ a file and then emmory paper and you should be good to go, if the axle isn't boogered up too bad, but it does look like it's gone already. But might as well give her a "hail Mary". From the pic, you'll also need a sleeve for the rear seal, that goes over the old seal surface, because that one looks like it'll never be good for a seal again. Most of the bearing manufacturers have them, since it's common. If the axle is too far gone, time for shopping for a new one to be installed.

Have done this for years working in a garage and a shop for big electric motors, changing bearings.

Punched bearings are when it's a pressed on / friction fit bearing, such as on a large electrical motor, and the shaft / bearing friction fit is too sloopy and bearing race spins on the motor shaft. The installer will take a punch and put a few shallow, equally spaced punch mark dings around the shaft, then press on the bearing and the race won't spin on shaft any longer, giving a new lease on life.

Bondo

Staff member

Hi,

I was just arriving at the lake when we pulled in a gas station and I saw my wheel hub smoking. By that time the bearings were gone and the hub was broken. The wheel came right off when we lifted the trailer - luckily it didn't fly off while on route and that each of my two axles can support more than my boat weighs! I drove home on three wheels.

After picking up a new hub, bearings and seal, I packed the new inner bearing and installed it with the seal but when I tried to install the hub it wouldn't go all the way in the axle!

I realized that what was practically stuck to my axle was what was left of the old inner bearings. I tried everything I could for 3 hours at my boat's site to get it off including hammering, prying with a pry bar and flat head - nothing worked and I failed miserably. Does anyone know what I can do to get this stupid race off? I would use a grinder or torch to heat it up but my boat's site doesn't have hydro and I don't have a torch. Is there a trick I can do to get this off? Are these "punched bearings" that are installed differently and need different installation and removal techniques?

Sorry about the bad picture. Thanks for reading...

Ayuh,.... By the looks of it, ya waited too long to service the bearings, 'n now ya need a new Axle...

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

More than likely the race is friction welded to the axle. I would try 04fxdwgi sugestion, and if that dosnt work I would replace the spindle or axle, you can cut or grind off a friction welded race , but the added heat will remove the temper from the axle steel, if it all ready hasnt and weaken it , Personaly I would replace the axle, it sucks to be stranded during a tow

E_Man

Petty Officer 2nd Class

From the pic, you'll also need a sleeve for the rear seal, that goes over the old seal surface, because that one looks like it'll never be good for a seal again. Most of the bearing manufacturers have them, since it's common. If the axle is too far gone, time for shopping for a new one to be installed.

Thanks for all the replies, especially 04fxdwgi. First of all, I *really* hope I don't need a new axle, that would be terrible right now. I'll take a picture of the final product after I remove the race and we'll go from there. Also, I am able to turn the race on the axle with a player, but it seems that it shrunk on a groove or something and won't come out.

04fxdwgi, can you tell me more about that rear seal? I don't see it on my axle but I did remove what I believe was the seal from the old hub that was garbled and still on the axle. Again I'm really trying to do everything I can not to replace that axle unless I absolutely need to, so thanks for having hope and telling me to give her a "hail mary"! Your post was really helpful.

Also, just to confirm, I don't have punched bearings right?

04fxdwgi

Thanks for all the replies, especially 04fxdwgi. First of all, I *really* hope I don't need a new axle, that would be terrible right now. I'll take a picture of the final product after I remove the race and we'll go from there. Also, I am able to turn the race on the axle with a player, but it seems that it shrunk on a groove or something and won't come out.

04fxdwgi, can you tell me more about that rear seal? I don't see it on my axle but I did remove what I believe was the seal from the old hub that was garbled and still on the axle. Again I'm really trying to do everything I can not to replace that axle unless I absolutely need to, so thanks for having hope and telling me to give her a "hail mary"! Your post was really helpful.

Also, just to confirm, I don't have punched bearings right?

No. you don't have "punched bearings". Axle bearings aren't "friction fix or pressed on", just very close tollerance "loose fit".

The rear seal is indeed in the hub, right behind the bearing. That lip seal rides on the spindle right behind the bearing. Your shaft looks pretty boogered up where the seal rides and will destroy a new seal in very little time. Most bearing makers have a S/S sleeve kit that will go over that screwed up part of the axle, to provide a new surface for the new seal to ride on and usually include a "special seal" that is made for the seal saver outside diameter. Timken has them and they are called " Axle-Saver Seal Wear Rings". I just don't have a pic of one.

TBarCYa

I just did this on an equipment trailer and used a 3-jaw puller to get a grip on it and pull it off. Works like a charm.

rickryder

Commander

04fxdwgi is spot on with the way to go about it ;) if it's salavagble......if not Bond-o is right your gonna need a new one.... Good luck ! Hope it can be fixed.

04fxdwgi, ...... I guess by your screen name you ride an FX Harley ;)

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

What i was refering to as a friction welded bearing race is this , when a bearing fails from lack of grease , the rollers lock up and the bearing spins on the axle untill it gaulds and stops the spin , then the rollars disinagrate and the wheel falls over sideways, the spinning of the race on the spindle dose friction weld it to the spindle, it is all dependent on how long it was ran like that and how hot it got , and yes it can be repaired

E_Man

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have an update picture after I tried to hammer it out from every which way and failed. I understand that I will need to file any rough edges. I think I'll try a grinder as my next attempt as the dremel tool failed miserably.

Attachments

• P1010633.jpg
    P1010633.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 0

Snowfish

Petty Officer 1st Class

You just need to cut it partially through. Like with the dremel, angle grinder, or die grinders as mentioned.

Take a cold chisel and give it a couple good whacks. It should split and slide right off.

Then it's going to take some surgery, with emery cloth, to clean up the race surface. Not to much. Just enough to get the new bearing to slide on.

The speedi sleeve/seal saver will be a must.

This is very repairable. I've resurrected worse.

ToemanDoug

Cadet

E_man,

Comparing the two photographs, two things appear evident:
You have moved the race slightly....this is good, as it indicates it is not "spun or fiction" welded to the shaft.
It looks as though you have split the entire outboard edge of the race off. Perhaps with the dremel and hammer?

The suggestion with the dremmel is to cut (grind) a groove in the race which is parallel with the axle, and then expand the groove with a cold chissel until the race snaps. I don't see where you tried this, even though you think this method failed. many of us have been sucessful with this technique.

Progress is coming, keep at it and good luck.

E_Man

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Got the race out! New pics attached

Got the race out! New pics attached

OK. So I used a rotary Dremel tool and managed to get the race off. I barely touched the axle on the outside part. Then I used emery paper (plumber's paper) to sand out any rough edges. I got it smooth enough where I can tightly wrap my hand around where the seal would touch and move it around without feeling any roughness. Perhaps I should use that Dremel tool to thoroughly sand it out but then the seal would not seal. I wish there was some body filler for metal that would hold well after I apply and sand (like fiberglass) but I may just be dreaming!

I briefly fit the new hub on the axle and hand-tightened the D-nut but there was a bit of play and I'm not sure but when I moved it around to test for play I saw some grease in the back. If I can make grease come out the back seal by pressing and pulling hard on the hub, then do I need that axle saver seal? If so, does anyone know where to buy it here in Canada? I know that Timkin has it but when I asked a local trailer shop they didn't know what it was and they are quite big here...

Again thanks for all who participated, I love learning this stuff I just wish it didn't involve so much headaches, back pain, stress and last but certainly not least, money (Break Out Another Thousand).

Attachments

• P1010652.jpg
    P1010652.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 0

04fxdwgi

04fxdwgi is spot on with the way to go about it ;) if it's salavagble......if not Bond-o is right your gonna need a new one.... Good luck ! Hope it can be fixed.

04fxdwgi, ...... I guess by your screen name you ride an FX Harley ;)

You are "Spot On" too. '04 Wide Glide in the garage.

04fxdwgi

I have an update picture after I tried to hammer it out from every which way and failed. I understand that I will need to file any rough edges. I think I'll try a grinder as my next attempt as the dremel tool failed miserably.

I would start shopping for a good shop as a back up to do the repair or replace the spindle. That one is in very poor shape. It is in very tough shape and you'll be very lucky to bring it back to life, unless you have lots of experience working with this kind of thing, which it does not sound like. If not done right, it will fail again.

I have resurrected some pretty bad ones (some worse than that), but I do have the tools and background needed for it.

04fxdwgi

Re: Got the race out! New pics attached

OK. So I used a rotary Dremel tool and managed to get the race off. I barely touched the axle on the outside part. Then I used emery paper (plumber's paper) to sand out any rough edges. I got it smooth enough where I can tightly wrap my hand around where the seal would touch and move it around without feeling any roughness. Perhaps I should use that Dremel tool to thoroughly sand it out but then the seal would not seal. I wish there was some body filler for metal that would hold well after I apply and sand (like fiberglass) but I may just be dreaming!

I briefly fit the new hub on the axle and hand-tightened the D-nut but there was a bit of play and I'm not sure but when I moved it around to test for play I saw some grease in the back. If I can make grease come out the back seal by pressing and pulling hard on the hub, then do I need that axle saver seal? If so, does anyone know where to buy it here in Canada? I know that Timkin has it but when I asked a local trailer shop they didn't know what it was and they are quite big here...

Again thanks for all who participated, I love learning this stuff I just wish it didn't involve so much headaches, back pain, stress and last but certainly not least, money (Break Out Another Thousand).

You got alot of work left to do. Every burr and high spot needs to come down to smooth surface. I would use a file and do it a little at a time.

You will ABSOLUTELY need a speedy sleeve / seal saver on that spindle. The seal will not seat on the boogered up surface.

bandsawguy

Recruit

You need to try a bearing supply shop for the sleeve. I use Canadian Bearings and BDI here in Ontario and have pretty good results when it comes to work bearings and seals.

E_Man

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for that link Doug! Does anyone know any more suppliers in Ontraio who sell this?

SKF calls theirs a Speedi-Sleeve.

This page has links to Canadian Sales contacts:

http://www.vsm.skf.com/en-US/HeavyDuty/KitsAndTools/SpeediSleeve.aspx

04FXDwgi, If I get an axle saver like the one in the link above, then since I already used emery paper and nothing sharp is there anymore do I really need to smoothen that surface out even more?
You got alot of work left to do. Every burr and high spot needs to come down to smooth surface. I would use a file and do it a little at a time.

You will ABSOLUTELY need a speedy sleeve / seal saver on that spindle. The seal will not seat on the boogered up surface.

Lastly, I have some bad news. The bottom of the spindle does not look as good at the top where the outer bearings sit. I hope its still usable. Let me know, I'm not sure if it matters since no seal is there and the bearings wouldn't be rolling between the spindle and the race anyways.

Attachments

• P1010648.jpg
    P1010648.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 0