help and don't laugh:-)

aarongreen123

Petty Officer 2nd Class
check out the attached photo, and focus your attention on the winch stand of the trailer, specifically on the block of oak that sits between the winch and the winch stand. This winch stand is adjustable, but is currently adjusted all the way out. What do i need to buy to fix this rig job? crestliner.jpg

badkins50

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: help and don't laugh:)

If it was me i would use the existing bottom post and mount a v-block guide, then I would buy a new winch post assembly and mount it in front (towards the hitch). Make sure it is tall enough to get your bow stop snuggly above the boats winch eye. Should be able to find enough info at the site below.

http://www.easternmarine.com/Boat-Trailer-Winch-Posts-Mounts/

Jeff-in-PA

Chief Petty Officer

You could get a piece of heavy wall tubing ( 1/4" wall minimum thickness ) and use that as a spacer for your winch.

You would need to drill holes, bolt it to the winch bracket and then do the same for the winch itself.

Get graded bolts too, grade 5 minimum.

badkins50

Senior Chief Petty Officer

aaron, that post set up you have in the link above looks good but I think you will have to do some measuring to see where that it will put your winch and bow stop in relation to the winch eye on the boat. When trailering I like to have my boat winch eye snug up against under the bow stop roller and I like my winch positioned so it pulls forward on a down angle. You can kind of see it in my signature picture.

Here, I took 5 minutes to do a quick drawing of what I was talking about. Hope it helps. Can't you tell I'm real busy at work today hahahahaha

View attachment 107594

89mercruiser

Seaman Apprentice

The shop that repaired our winch post and boat due too the boat sliding forward in a panic stop and breaking the winch post. He told us if the boat is never centerd just put the trailer in the grass not attached to tow vehicle and unload the boat and then bring it back on. I'm not sure how it would work with my dad's boat as it's fiberglass with an I/O.

CRay45DB

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I just bought a roller trailer which I am having problems with, but all the dealers told me the same thing, if I have to, I can unload it on my front lawn and put it back on. Several weeks ago, some idiots after pulling out of the water forgot to strap down, the boat was laying in the road..only reason they got it back on, roller trailer. I actually shot the vidoe and put it on you tube.

sw33ttooth

Chief Petty Officer

the only reason it fell off was the rollers :) a 6 inch chunk of metel will do the trick dont forget graded bolts your cranking on a few thousand pounds they need to be good bolts!!!

aarongreen123

Petty Officer 2nd Class

here are some better pictures of what is going on. i don't get how this setup ever worked for any boat. its not like this is way too much boat for the trailer, just weird to me but i don't have much boat trailer experience so i hope you guys know exactly what to do. i didn't quite make sense of the one recomendation above so my apologies if the right thing has already been suggested.
winchstand2.jpgwinchstand.jpg

Fishing Dude too

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I would buy square stock that would fit inside tube down over tube up weld top to tube, then adjust to corret higth drill holes through both from sides then you have it fixed. But what do I know.