Help! 2003 Mercury 5hp

chunkachange

Cadet
Re: Help! 2003 Mercury 5hp

I have cleaned the carb again, also the fuel pump and all is clean and assembled correctly. I blew into the inlet of the fuel pump and heard a valve open and there was free flow. When I sucked on the inlet, there was no movement of air so I suppose the check valve is working properly. I put all back on the motor with a new gasket at the carb/motor and get these results.....I choke it and it starts sputtering...I shove the choke in and it runs smooth, responding to the throttle for 5 or 6 seconds and THEN DIES LIKE IT RAN OUT OF GAS! Can you think of ANYTHING that I may be missing? This is a 2003 Mercury 5 hp 2 cycle outboard that has been used very little by the previous owner. Any suggestions will be tried and appreciated. Thanks, Chunk :) :( :confused: :) :( :confused:

penguin

Seaman

I had a problem like this and went through everything like you did, come to find out it was a pinhole in the fuel pump diaphram. so small you can't see it but, when you prime the bulb it will fill the bowl and start the motor,and run on whats in the bowl.. Now there is a load on the diaphram as it has to operate rapidly and it fails....GOOD LUCK

chunkachange

Cadet

Davette, there are two of those diapharams in the fuel pump....inner and outer. I know I could cut an exact duplicate from generic material if I could find such. I may have to order from Mercury and wait a week or so for delivery, if that is the problem. Thanks for the input! Chunk :) :)

chunkachange

Cadet

Im getting plenty of gas to my 2003 Mercury 5 hp motor. It will start when choked, run for 6 seconds or so, SMOKING LIKE CRAZY, and then die for lack of gas. What is the problem here? I have cleaned the carb 6 times, stripping it all the way down to bare metal. When put back together, I get the same results. This may mean something......the idle screw seems to have NO EFFECT, whether screwed all the way in or all the way out...it runs 6 seconds when choked and then dies. I am hoping somebody with much more sense and mechanical abilities can give me SOME INSIGHT into what is wrong with this motor. It was used very little by the former owner, and I have been unable to locate him to inquire for any help concerning the problem. If you know of ANYTHING that might help me to solve this....thanks for the post! Chunk :) ;) :p :) ;) :p

bryanredfish

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Just go ahead and take it to a mechanic. We all sense your frustration :( <br /><br />It sounds like a choke issue, especially with the large amount of smoke and the inability to set idle.

chunkachange

Cadet

Bryan, I have plans to take it to a top Mercury mechanic about 70 miles from here. They are reputed to be the best in the area. It will be a week or two before I can take it there, so I am going to tinker, putter, experiment, probe, jiggle, goose, shake, rattle, roll, spray, air hose, coax, plead and cuss this motor....right up to time I put it in the pickup and haul it to the experts! LOL! Chunk :) :D :p :rolleyes: :eek: ;)

ehenry

Commander

Do you think it could be sucking air in the fuel system somewhere? Carb mounting gasket not cracked or anything? Cracked hoses somewhere? When your mixture screws won't adjust anything no matter which way you turn them sounds like a vacume leak somewhere.<br /><br />When you get this figured out I'd really like to know what was found to be the problem.

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

check the compression on yur motor. pump works<br />off internal pressure and low compression won't<br />suck the fuel like she should.

chunkachange

Cadet

EFHenry, I will definitely post the results from the repair shop, no problemo! <br /> MellowYellow, what could cause the drop in compression and how would I go about measuring it? Can I use an auto compression gauge? What is the compressions supposed to be? I will work on checking the compression today, if I can rent or buy a gauge. Thanks for responding, Chunk :) ;) :p :cool: :) :D

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

loss of compression can be caused by a bad ring<br />or scored cylinder. an auto gage should be fine<br />and compression should be 100psi at V. minimum.<br />closer to 200 on a new motor.

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

another thought, try to feed her fuel from another<br />tank if possible. may be a restriction in the tank?

chunkachange

Cadet

Hey Mellowyellow, thanks for the info! I will check the compression as soon as I can rustle up a gauge. It may take me a day or two to get back here. Thanks....Chunk :) :p :) :p

chunkachange

Cadet

I just got through checking the compression on my 5 hp Mercury 2003 outboard motor, 2 cycle. It was around 110. Is this low enough to cause the following problem......I choke the engine, it starts, I shove the choke back in and it runs, responding to the throttle high rpm and low rpm, smoking like crazy, then after 6 seconds...it dies like it ran out of gas. Any feedback appreciated! :) :p :) :p

penguin

Seaman

To me 110 is low for 2003 motor, BUT NOT TO LOW TO RUN FINE. if you have good spark, good compression ,a good fuel system, and NO air leaks in the crankcase,it should run......I would double check these items. GOOD LUCK.