Help - 1996 40hp Force - feels like the clutch is slipping

benjh1028

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thread starter
Joined
Aug 17, 2009
Messages
107
At least that is my best car analogy. Boat was running great, not a single problem. Leave it for a week then starts on the first turn of the key. I put it in gear and it feels different. As i rev the engine, it feels like the clutch is slipping or the gear is not fully engaged. This happens in both forward and reverse. I check to see if the prop is loose (its not). I limp back to the dock as it will turn the prop enough at low RPMs to move the boat slowly. I check the cables and linkage and all sems well. Again, it worked flawless just a week earlier.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Ben
 

bashr52

Chief Petty Officer
Joined
Aug 2, 2009
Messages
413
Re: Help - 1996 40hp Force - feels like the clutch is slipping

Sounds like my old evinrude when I spun the hub......
 

tater76

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Joined
May 7, 2010
Messages
712
Re: Help - 1996 40hp Force - feels like the clutch is slipping

I agree with bashr, that is pretty textbook for a spun hub. If you have a spare in the boat try it, that would weed out the issue quick. I always carry a spare prop in the boat, even if it isn't in perfect condition, at least I won't be stranded.
 

benjh1028

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thread starter
Joined
Aug 17, 2009
Messages
107
Re: Help - 1996 40hp Force - feels like the clutch is slipping

Thanks gents! I'll try a new prop and report back.

Ben
 

magott11

Recruit
Joined
Jul 7, 2012
Messages
1
Re: Help - 1996 40hp Force - feels like the clutch is slipping

My 40 hp 1993 force started slipping at about 1/2 speed. After reading the forum, I put the old prop I had in the boat and it works fine. Thanks, alot better than tearing the lower unit apart. Thanks
 

catfishcarl99

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Joined
Apr 25, 2012
Messages
723
Re: Help - 1996 40hp Force - feels like the clutch is slipping

ya if the clutch dog is slipping it will run WOT and bang like you hit a stump. and then bang again every every few seconds. the all of the sudden over rev is cavitaion or a spun hub in prop.
 
Top