Help 1992 135 mariner & rookie owner!

adamjoelmusic

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
Mar 22, 2014
Messages
22
Hey guys ? looking for help from anyone who would be willing to offer ? I got a 1992 135 hp mariner that I can't get spark on any of the plugs ? it was running just a year ago five set for year and now no spark it any of the plugs

No Spark 92 mariner 135 - YouTube
 

CharlieB

Vice Admiral
Joined
Apr 10, 2007
Messages
5,617
Re: Help 1992 135 mariner & rookie owner!

Is the lanyard switch plugged in?

Does it crank at least at the minimum 300 RPM?

Disconnect the black wire with the thin yellow stripe that connects both ignition switchboxes to the motor wiring harness, if it sparks now then the ignition switch or lanyard, is killing spark.
 

adamjoelmusic

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
Mar 22, 2014
Messages
22
Re: Help 1992 135 mariner & rookie owner!

Is the lanyard switch plugged in?

Does it crank at least at the minimum 300 RPM?

Disconnect the black wire with the thin yellow stripe that connects both ignition switchboxes to the motor wiring harness, if it sparks now then the ignition switch or lanyard, is killing spark.


Ok... I don't have a "lanyard" type kill switch... I just have a toggle switch under the throttle handle that is labeled "run/off" - that was what I checked first to make sure it was on "run" ... Still had no spark there so I tried bypassing that switch all together (figuring that maybe the switch was bad) by following it all the way back to where it comes in to the back of the ignition and cutting the black/white & black/yellow wires there ... My thought was if I cut those wires then I am bypassing the "kill" .... Is this right?

If so then I'll try what you said ...

Just to be clear ... I have one switchbox on the starboard side of my power head ... Are you saying to disconnect the black/yellow wire from that switch box?


thanks so much for your help!
 

Chris1956

Honorary Supreme Mariner
Joined
Mar 25, 2004
Messages
29,205
Re: Help 1992 135 mariner & rookie owner!

That motor has two switchboxes, one on top of the other. Disconnect the bullet connectors for the black/yellow wires, one on each switchbox. Now see if spark returns.
 

adamjoelmusic

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
Mar 22, 2014
Messages
22
Re: Help 1992 135 mariner & rookie owner!

That motor has two switchboxes, one on top of the other. Disconnect the bullet connectors for the black/yellow wires, one on each switchbox. Now see if spark returns.


I'm only seeing one on here - tracing backwards, All 6 coils come into that one box ... 3 cylinders into the front, 3 into the back ... Am in missing something?

I disconnected the yellow/black off the front of the box, there's also one coming in to the backside ... Assuming I gotta take them both off to test?
 

adamjoelmusic

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
Mar 22, 2014
Messages
22
Re: Help 1992 135 mariner & rookie owner!

Never mind ... Just went out and checked it ... I see what you mean... Stacked right on top of each other ... I'll have to pull the one in front to remove the black/yellow bullet off the rear
 

CharlieB

Vice Admiral
Joined
Apr 10, 2007
Messages
5,617
Re: Help 1992 135 mariner & rookie owner!

Over time cranking speed slows down, and we do not tend to notice it as it is such a gradual change it seems like it has 'always' cranked fine.

There is a minimum cranking speed for the stator to generate sufficient voltage to operate the ignition system.

Dirty battery cable connections, ditto the starter cable, dirty commutator and brushes within the starter, dry bushings within the starter. All combine to reduce starter speed. Disconnect and sand EVERY cable end, battery cables and starter cable. Make SURE the battery is fully charged, take it somewhere and have it LOAD TESTED to be sure of its condition. Disassemble the starter, lightly sand the commutator clean, very lightly oil the bushings.
 
Top