Help! 125 Force Will not start

ship5182

Cadet
Re: Help! 125 Force Will not start

Glad you got it running. Mine is a 1989 Force 150 and needs a strong battery to start it also. There are some great threads in this section with a lot of good information on Force. Find the one by Mark42 about installing a telltale, a simple project, I put one on mine.

javsam

Chief Petty Officer

One thing you dont do to an outboard with CDI ignition (which is what you have) is to jump it with another battery. This can ruin the CDI modules due to high current draw.You would be best to read the owners manual over well.

kingero7

Cadet

Appreciate it on the steering..good stuff. Far as jumping the battery..didnt jump the engine......I just had to charge the battery b/c I killed it trying so many times.

Another couple questions....the engine slowly drops after raising it (very slow but still I plan on using it for fishing and it will be annoying in shallow water). Any ideas if this is caused by hydrolic leak? do I need to add fluid or get a new pump? any ideas

any other ways besides a jackplate you can get more power out of your engine?

dpfundst

Seaman

Hi,

I had this exact engine on a 19 ft Bayliner Capri both '88
The engine was always tough to start, and I had the boat/engine 15 yrs, so I got my monies worth!
Cold start procedure: Need to pull the Control out towards you to "full Neutral" which will give you gas but not be in gear. Need to squeeze primer bulb until firm.
Need to push in Choke when turning key........but only choke once during starting........if it does not start...do not choke on next cranks or you will flood the engine, and it wont start.....
It will start easier once warm......recomend you start in your driveway on muffs, prior to going to lake........then at the lake, just turn the key (warm engine) and it will start right up...........End of day if little activity on the engine u may need to completely repeat cold engine starting described above.
Dont leave your engine trimmed way up when pulled up to beach etc.or this can flood engine, and again it wont start.

On other issue, engine dropping down, your Trim/Tilt is beginning to fail....had that too......
Hope this helps

seaman campbell

Chief Petty Officer

I have a 1989 Force 125. Same issue with the tilt/trim leaking down Sorry to say you need at least a new valve body for the tilt trim motor. You can find one on Sierra Marine. I think mine cost about 243. Starting...mine is the same way tough to start cold but once warm she fires right up.

daniel5088

Recruit

Appreciate it on the steering..good stuff. Far as jumping the battery..didnt jump the engine......I just had to charge the battery b/c I killed it trying so many times.

Another couple questions....the engine slowly drops after raising it (very slow but still I plan on using it for fishing and it will be annoying in shallow water). Any ideas if this is caused by hydrolic leak? do I need to add fluid or get a new pump? any ideas

any other ways besides a jackplate you can get more power out of your engine?

I had the same problem with my engine bleeding down. First check your hyd lines for security. If that is good make sure your tilt motor has plenty of fluid and is properly bled. If you still have a no go on that and you feel confident in your abilities as a mechanic remove the hyd lines from the valve body on the bottom of the trim motor. after they are removed remove the four screws securing the valve body. "Have a bucket underneath to catch the trim fluid. Next look at the valve body and there should be four bolts holding it together. remove those bolts but be careful! There are two springs, two gears, and THREE bearings in the assembly. Take compressed air and clean out the system. And replace all of the parts. Those bearings are supposed to keep the motor from bleeding down so clean them up and put everything back together. Refill with fluid, bleed the system and you should be good to go..