Hello I'm New here..Looking to get my first pontoon...have questions.

KeukaFam

Cadet
Hello all. I'm new here. A little about me. Middle aged Married father of 4 kids, professional wood craftsman (furniture, art and the like). Anyway the wife and I just bought a cottage on Keuka lake in the Finger lakes of NY. Naturally, I'd like to get out on the water, and it's obscene what the lake Marina's get for rentals for a day. Myself and two of my kids are big into fishing.We have been drooling over the Bass Buggy 18 at the bass pro in auburn ny. However the we don't have much money right now as the result of owning two homes, and having 4 kids.....so the 22k price tag for one (equipped with a 40-50hp merc, trailer w/brake, cover) is just too much right now. I did find a spotless 2013 trade in for under 13k, at a tracker dealer, that comes with a trailer (sans Brakes), and a cover. It also comes with a new 20hp Merc. My questions: I know that Suntracker does offer the bass buggy new with the 20 elpt merc as a factory option, but is that even capable of getting the boat underway with the family in it. Also how important would brakes be on a trailer for this boat being pulled thru hilly terrain behind my 02 a dodge caravan. Really we are just looking to get something we can get out on the water to put around in, fish a bit, and possibly picnic in. Not really into skiing or tubing.

I'm really new to boating, so I submit this question to you. Is it better to wait a few years more until more funds become available (if ever ;o) ) or the 2013 is a doable entry point?

alldodge

Staff member
Boating is a lot of fun but it is a 4 letter word. Bring On Another Thousand

It will be no fun to have a boat if you cannot afford to use. Your 02 Caravan has a tow capacity of 2000 pounds, so your at the limit if not over it with the toon. Just about any vehicle can move a boat but it is more important to stop them, more so in an emergency. I like brakes on all trailers and I pull with a 3/4 ton truck. Don't have them on my seadoo trailer but still wouldn't mind having them.

The thing you need more then anything else is a good motor, if the boat doesn't look perfect it can be fixed later, just don't want to get stranded or ruin the day. For a low budget first time boater, I would suggest finding an older boat that is sound but maybe not pristine with a good motor. Would be better to have some extra cash on hand then having a real nice looking boat. The kids want to get wet and fish, mom and dad do better when not worrying about finances.

KeukaFam

Cadet
We also have a 08 chrylser tc which has an 1800lb tow limit with out the tow package, the reason I mentioned or 02 is that it has the extra trans cooler and is rated for 3500lbs lbs. Also the merc 20hp is warrantied out to the summer of 2018...it is new I believe.

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member
We also have a 08 chrylser tc which has an 1800lb tow limit with out the tow package, the reason I mentioned or 02 is that it has the extra trans cooler and is rated for 3500lbs lbs.

The 3500 will help, boat weights about 1800, trailer 800 then add fuel and gear, guessing your around 2800 or so. I would want brakes on the trailer.

Also figure a 20hp motor will move the boat but if you want to pull a tub or get where your going you could use more hp. Some of the toon owners should be along shortly and could provide some more insight in first hand knowledge.

ahicks

Captain
If you are on the lake, is there a reason you wouldn't keep the boat at your dock and just move in/out spring and fall? MANY folks do that, and if that's possible, you can just hire out that move very reasonably - like 35.00.

Older boat with a solid engine can be had pretty reasonably. Be really careful of buying one fully furnished with vinyl upholstery that's had it. Anything over about 10 years old is getting close. Replacing all that vinyl will be a pretty expensive proposition, and for that reason many will remove most of the furniture and just use lawn chairs. A boat like that can last for many years with minimal care.

lmuss53

Lieutenant Junior Grade
The 20hp will move a 20 footer around but really that is about all it will do. That motor is sold for on State Park lakes and other low or no wake lakes.

If you have 13K in your budget I would look around for a nice older boat that has a 50hp or so on it with a little less pristene interior. A 20 footer with a 75 or 90 on it is a great boat, good for fishing or pulling a tube or running back to beat the rain. You may find it hard to believe but a 20 foot pontoon is not a huge boat for a family of 4, but certainly adequate.

If you are towing long 20 mile plus trips you need more tow vehicle or brakes. If you are grabbing it a few miles away and sticking it in the water at the local marina I would not hesitate to use the Van.

A pontoon is a great first boat, easy to launch and operate, not real high speed in most cases, a good boat to learn about boating on. Go get one and jump in, it will make your place on the lake complete.

Last edited:

lmuss53

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I just took a quick look at boats that are close to you on Craigslist. Take a look at this Crest Family Fishnfun, maybe it is not the right one for you, but there are boats available. If iboats removes the link look on the Finger Lakes, NY Craigslist.

http://fingerlakes.craigslist.org/boa/5461608466.html

I
would also suggest that you look around and find a Coast Guard or state sponsored boating course, That is a very good investment in time for a new boater.

Last edited:

64osby

Admiral
If you are on the lake, is there a reason you wouldn't keep the boat at your dock and just move in/out spring and fall? MANY folks do that, and if that's possible, you can just hire out that move very reasonably - like 35.00.

Older boat with a solid engine can be had pretty reasonably. Be really careful of buying one fully furnished with vinyl upholstery that's had it. Anything over about 10 years old is getting close. Replacing all that vinyl will be a pretty expensive proposition, and for that reason many will remove most of the furniture and just use lawn chairs. A boat like that can last for many years with minimal care.

I just took a quick look at boats that are close to you on Craigslist. Take a look at this Crest Family Fishnfun, maybe it is not the right one for you, but there are boats available. If iboats removes the link look on the Finger Lakes, NY Craigslist.

http://fingerlakes.craigslist.org/boa/5461608466.html

I
would also suggest that you look around and find a Coast Guard or state sponsored boating course, That is a very good investment in time for a new boater.

Great advice here ^^^. I was going to state similar, but they did it for me.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
The pontoon in my signature was around $13K(That was also slightly lower than NADA) used a couple years ago used and it had around 70 hours on it in perfect condition. All I had to do was sew a cover for it and do a few upgrades that I wanted.
IMG_20140404_143132.jpg

IMG_20140404_141633.jpg

Last edited:

KeukaFam

Cadet
Great advice thank you all! I can't have a dock on our property due to local regs. But I'm planning on keeping at the Marina slip during the summer, and storing it at my place 3 miles from the marina in the winter. So the towing would be REALLY short distance. I'm less concerned about that, then if you think I should get into a boat now, even if it has the 20hp (with the possiblity of repowering later) and having fun this summer, or simply wait a few years and look again. Will the 20hp be completely useless. Is it just a pipe dream. I have been looking, and dreaming for quite a few years....and I really like this one. Based on the gist I'm getting I should pass, and maybe keep looking.

lmuss53

Lieutenant Junior Grade
If it really is pushing all your buttons, don't pass on the 18 BassBuggy, it will get you on the water and from A to B, only be prepared for about a 10 to 15 mph top speed. Any boat that gets you on the water is a good boat. I think that boat is rated for about a 60 hp motor, if you like it you can repower later. The 20 is actually a valuable motor just because it is one that people who frequent the PA and NY State Parks want to buy,although I think NY allows 25 hp on State Park Lakes. You might run into a guy with a 60 on something who is looking for a State Parks boat.

You will want the bigger motor immediately, I promise you, so you might want to shop around and see if you can find a similar boat with a little more power.

You have the bug, there is only one way to fix it.

Last edited:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I would pass on the 18' Bass buggy mainly because it is too short! If you do decide to get it, you can find them cheap used since they are not very popular.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Temporary docks are normally permitted if you own lakefront, but also good boat launches in Penn Yan and at the state park near Branchport. Right about high rental rates for boats, but might want to hold off buying and see what's available for sale locally -- always an assortment of boats to choose from, if not in a hurry.

ahicks

Captain
Bad plan buying a boat with a small engine with plans on getting a bigger engine later IMHO. Consider that with the deals on boats, say in the 5K range, you're buying the engine and getting the boat for free. Look at the engine FIRST! Find one suitable, then look at the boat. Engine is what is most likely to make or break your deal. The rest of it, the boat itself, is the more easily changed to fit your circumstances.

The point I was making about the dock earlier, should have included the question asking if you really need a trailer to be part of your deal? For what it cost to have the boat moved, or rent a trailer and do it yourself, twice a year - you don't have to worry about the expense of buying/maintaining one. The price of the license plate for it alone will pay the rent one way?

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Think I can probably provide some local info., as Keuka is my home lake:

Expect about $50 per foot for slip fees, $27-28/ft. for winter storage, incl. pulling, winterizing and relaunch. Sawbellies are $10/doz. Small mouths in the 3-4 lb range are common; about the same for lake trout (pretty large population, sized accordingly -- self sustaining pop.). Lake depth max. about 180', much of the lake 80' - 100'. Shallower on the north ends (perch and bluegills, some pickerel). Water clarity is good, but considerable runoff possible, with clouding. Outlet is at Penn Yan, so draining can take a while in the Branchport area. (Inlets at Hammondsport and Branchport.)

Hull fouling isn't too bad. Watch for logs and deadheads after storms -- clarity and debris depends on severity of storms and runoff -- some issues over the last couple of years. Lake has a lot of zebra mussels (and water fleas -- foul fishing lines).

I don't think I've seen outboards under about 50hp in the marina -- would guess most pontoons are in the 20' range. Pretty big lake, some storm potential -- can get windy. Lifts are pretty standard at private docks -- sometimes rail systems.

KeukaFam

Cadet
Hey oldboat1 thanks very much for the info. Our place is in Jerusalem, closer to Penn Yan, and we only have 8ft deeded width at the shoreline, and share it. which is fine for our kayaks and SUP board...but a dock is def. out. I was looking into East Bluff Marina, as they have "Dry Storage" Basically for 350./ per season, you call them when you want your boat and they launch it for you, and take it back up the hill to their shed when your done. Yeah I'm thinking I should pass on this one and wait until we can afford something with a larger motor. Already caught some decent Small Mouth from the shore...but would like to get to enjoy more of the lake.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
You're welcome.

Think you will like Keuka. Believe I have looked around E. Bluff Marina -- might have a deal for you there on a pontoon at some point, and might combine it with services. Deeded access works, and avoids extremely high property taxes for waterfront footage. Think you are between P.Y. and Branchport, closer to Penn Yan, somewhere around the college, maybe. (think Seneca Farms ice creme shop opens this week -- go to place).

Can live off the Mennonite roadside veggie stands in the summer, pick as many fresh raspberries as you can eat -- and grapes (excellent for eating or other applications).

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
18 foot is about the minimum for your family and 20 HP is nowhere near enough power to provide satisfactory performance with six aboard -- especially if you need to outrun or escape a storm. I had an 18 footer with a 40 HP Suzy 4-stroke that was a great combination and was very comfortable for six cruising, 4 for fishing. Two fishing pedestals up front, two in back and a dinette and semicircular couch amidship. That complete rig with bunk trailer was about $13K new. It also weighed about 3000#.