Heel angle on my ODay 17

Status
Not open for further replies.

avenger79

Lieutenant Commander
the ones in the pic are further forawrd than the others, the second set would bring the sheets outside of the staysand a little passed the cabin.

joetheis

Petty Officer 1st Class
On my O day 19' Mariner, there was a pin that slid in when the centerboard was down to keep it from "popping up" at the most in op time.
I too had a gust hit me REALLY hard on her, one minute I was day dreaming, next minute I'm on the deck!
I keep the main sheet in my hands when sailing, and as luck would have it, it popped and the main fluttered and she turned into the wind!
Guy on shore screamed out, "nice save", but for sure it had NOTHING to do with me!
Joe

Last edited by a moderator:

joetheis

Petty Officer 1st Class
I was told at the sailing school I took a few years ago, at a certain "heel" the sails loose power and SHOULD right your self!
I got hit by a narrow gust once on my 22' sailboat and darn near went 45 degrees! water came pouring into the cockpit! (Like 20 yard long narrow band)
I was caught day dreaming on the tiller and not watching the water, or I'd dumped the sail with the sail sheet!
You "heel " as much as your nerves will let you!
My Plas Trend 22' would heel @ 15 then settle in and go, go, go.
I wouldn't go more than 30 degrees, but I'm old and hate to have to stand on the center board to bring her over! (ruins you whole day)!
(my O Day Mariner had a pin to lock the centerboard to help keep the center board down? out? lowered? This is supposed to help the boat stay up right!).
Joe
Take any advice I give with a can of beer er 2!

jbcurt00

Staff member
Joe, old dog hasnt posted in this topic in over a year, and no one has replied since your last post over 120days ago.

Inactive topics shouldnt be posted to except by whoever started it.

Status
Not open for further replies.