Heavy Oxidation Removal

Harley Guy 2022

Recruit
Ahoy,
I have a 15' fiberglass EldoCraft EldoPro bass boat that was given to me. The vessel has been left out in the Alabama elements for approximately 11 years. There is heavy oxidation (and dirt) . The Gel-Coat is non-existent! How do I restore the shine without doing to much harm to the metal flake or paint? I thought about wet sanding as the go-to solution. Any advice?

todhunter

Canoeist
If you aren't seeing fibers, the gelcoat is still there. Is it a metal flake bass boat? I've heard if you get down to the flake layer, it'll turn grey as you sand/polish.

First step is to clean the dirt off. Next, wet sand. If it's bad, you may have to start down around 400 grit or lower, then work your way up to 1,000 grit. After that, buff with AquaBuff 1000, then AquaBuff 2000, then wax it.

airshot

Vice Admiral
Before tou burn to much energy getting her to shine, you might do some in depth testing to see if the wood inside structure and transom have rotted ! These old fiberglass boats are noted for it, hate to see yiu get it all nice and shiney and find the hull is rotted and unsafe. Pics are good...we like to see old boat pics !!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
If the boat isn't registered in your name, it's not yours.

Agree on checking the structure. Bass boat + sitting + sparkly gel = 80s rotten boat

Harley Guy 2022

Recruit
If you aren't seeing fibers, the gelcoat is still there. Is it a metal flake bass boat? I've heard if you get down to the flake layer, it'll turn grey as you sand/polish.

First step is to clean the dirt off. Next, wet sand. If it's bad, you may have to start down around 400 grit or lower, then work your way up to 1,000 grit. After that, buff with AquaBuff 1000, then AquaBuff 2000, then wax it.
Thx Tod. Yes, it's a metal flake bass boat. The surface is very coarse. It appears as though the flake has come to the surface. I will be replacing the transom, as it is a little weak. Structurally the boat is pretty solid, considering how long it has been neglected. Not being familiar with restoring metal flake finish, and being pretty adept at fiberglass repair, the transom will be easier for me than getting some shine back on her.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
After you get the transom, stringers and deck redone and you want to re-spray the glitter.....

Harley Guy 2022

Recruit
Progress report:
I am going to remove the cap and really look at the structural integrity of this boat. I was going to start taking all of the hardware off and start the sanding process. A fastener on the depth finder wouldn't come out, so I pulled the face plate for the aerator off and attempted to feel around for the nut. Instead of finding it, I came out with a handful of deteriorated plywood! THAT made my mind up to remove the cap.
I have the rub rails off and the rivets all drilled out. This weekend (fingers crossed) I'll hopefully get the cap off. Would you like pictures? Of course you do! I'll chronical the progress, if that's allowed. Let me know, please, so I don't get in trouble.
Thanks!

todhunter

Canoeist
Photos of the entire process are highly encouraged. My rebuild thread went to over 30 pages long by the time I was done (see the link in my signature)

Scott Danforth

Staff member
I did multiple threads depending what portion I was working on