Heat

Dubed

Petty Officer 1st Class
Been hovering around 90 here in Massachusetts with extreme humidity!
No complaints from me. Thats summer, and I HATE the cold!
I grew up in the dry cleaning industry and owned a plant for 28 years. Hot as could be with steam in your face all day. Only thing worse would have been a foundry.
Back then you just worked. No one was too concerned about your personal comfort like they are today. Lol

KJM

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I see that there is record ocean temps off the coast of Florida as well. I wonder how that will affect the marine life down there? The weather really seems to be getting messed up, but I sometimes wonder is some of it just the media paying more attention and reporting it more?

KJM

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Been hovering around 90 here in Massachusetts with extreme humidity!
No complaints from me. Thats summer, and I HATE the cold!
I grew up in the dry cleaning industry and owned a plant for 28 years. Hot as could be with steam in your face all day. Only thing worse would have been a foundry.
Back then you just worked. No one was too concerned about your personal comfort like they are today. Lol
Dry cold I can handle within reason, but wet, cold sloppy snow and slush is the worst. I'll take the heat over that any day!

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
I see that there is record ocean temps off the coast of Florida as well. I wonder how that will affect the marine life down there? The weather really seems to be getting messed up, but I sometimes wonder is some of it just the media paying more attention and reporting it more?
Mostly Media hype.......ocean water temp is extremely dynamic. Currents and or wind can raise and lower temperature 5F over night.

Our water temps are below normal water as of yesterday. Change of wind direction and we could be above normal tomorrow.

Ocean fish are migratory. If they don't like the temp they move which is why an offshore fisherman's best friend is a good SST chart

Here is SST of our area yesterday. Where exactly is this "record" temp at?
1689685104300.jpeg

KJM

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Mostly Media hype.......ocean water temp is extremely dynamic. Currents and or wind can raise and lower temperature 5F over night.

Our water temps are below normal water as of yesterday. Change of wind direction and we could be above normal tomorrow.

Ocean fish are migratory. If they don't like the temp they move which is why an offshore fisherman's best friend is a good SST chart

Here is SST of our area yesterday. Where exactly is this "record" temp at?
View attachment 384895
South Florida, Florida Keys. Apparently the temps are the highest ever recorded there.https://www.cnn.com/2023/07/12/us/florida-ocean-heat-coral-bleaching-climate/index.html

tphoyt

Ensign
It’s cloudy here today on Martha’s Vineyard and will will only be 80 today but the humidity is at 92% and thats what gets me. You break a sweat just walking around let alone having to work in this.
I’ll take cold and dry over hot and humid any day.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
South Florida, Florida Keys. Apparently the temps are the highest ever recorded there.https://www.cnn.com/2023/07/12/us/florida-ocean-heat-coral-bleaching-climate/index.html
Looks like the warm water got washed out since the artcle was written1689709222985.png

Last edited:

KJM

Lieutenant Junior Grade
It’s cloudy here today on Martha’s Vineyard and will will only be 80 today but the humidity is at 92% and thats what gets me. You break a sweat just walking around let alone having to work in this.
Yeah, humidity is the worst. But in a few months time we will be complaining about the cold! September is a nice time of year.....

KJM

Lieutenant Junior Grade
see above
Your attachment stopped working, but the black line in the bigger chart was equal or a bit higher then the historical highs that usually arrive in late summer?

Dubed

Petty Officer 1st Class
Humidity sucks. But you can go inside, cool off, have a mudslide. You don't have to go out and shovel it! 😉

tphoyt

Ensign
Well the mudslide sounds good in either season.
Problem is I work outside for the most part all year long. I try to save any inside projects for January & February but it doesn’t always pan out. At least when is cold I can add another layer.
I can only shed so many layers in the summer before I start offering people.
Now I want a Mudslide. The power of suggestion

tphoyt

Ensign
Ya you just can’t go wrong with cold suds.
I’m enjoying a frosty NutBrown Ale at the moment.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Kinda ok this morning down here N-FL ..80 deg this morning highs in the mid 90’s . Humidity is bad but when isn’t it in FL .. Great time to be in construction ! Lol !
B0D8E51B-CC1E-4F90-8B86-A3CF45680AA3.jpeg

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Just got home from spending a week in the Hampton, VA area … waking up in the morning to 82*F and 94% humidity was not fun. Daytime temps in the mid to upper 90’s… I was melting!

Heard from my Uncle in Phoenix, AZ … they were having daytime temps at 117! That is hot!
View attachment 384889
But look at that humidty... 😁