Hearing Aids anyone ?

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Unfortunately it's gotta happen .. Started looking just so many out there ..
Don't mind spending a little bit just don't want to over spend if something else is comparable at a cheaper price .. Any you guys use them ? Getting older kinda stinks ..

aspeck

Staff member
Huh? What did you say? Searing Hay? What is the world is that? Never heard of it before ...

Alumarine

Captain
Costco might be the best value.
The only problem with Costco is you might not get quick service if you have trouble. And, as a rule only Costco can service/program them.
That may or may not be an issue.
I just got a high end pair mostly for tinnitus.
Mine are behind the ear, rechargeable and bluetooth.
The bluetooth feature is very handy
I can control the settings with my phone as well as have phone calls, music etc go from my phone to the hearing aids.

flashback

Captain
I just got a high end pair mostly for tinnitus.
Mine are behind the ear, rechargeable and bluetooth.
The bluetooth feature is very handy
I can control the settings with my phone as well as have phone calls, music etc go from my phone to the hearing aids.
I have a horrible case of tinnitus but have always thought that a hearing aid would not help the jet engine in my head. Have they helped you? I could really use some relief.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Thanks I was worried it would get hung up on my glasses ..

Alumarine

Captain
I have a horrible case of tinnitus but have always thought that a hearing aid would not help the jet engine in my head. Have they helped you? I could really use some relief.
They help me. It takes the edge off.
I have a couple of sounds they can put out to help mask it.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Did someone mention tinnitus. I can hear fine if it wasn't for the loud hissing...

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Thanks I was worried it would get hung up on my glasses ..
I have a set and I wear glasses........ mine are controlled via bluetooth and I can adjust them with my phone........ real high tech My only WARNING is - if you get the in the ear models you will not experience the frustration of the outside the ear models such as mine. The BIGGEST fear and annoyance is if/when a facemask is required - the straps tangle to hearing aids to the glasses and I have had them get pulled out when I remove a mask.

Alumarine

Captain
I have a set and I wear glasses........ mine are controlled via bluetooth and I can adjust them with my phone........ real high tech My only WARNING is - if you get the in the ear models you will not experience the frustration of the outside the ear models such as mine. The BIGGEST fear and annoyance is if/when a facemask is required - the straps tangle to hearing aids to the glasses and I have had them get pulled out when I remove a mask.
The issue with masks and the Behind The Ear types takes some getting used to.
My tech showed me how to grab the top strap and pull it back a bit and over the ear. That stops them from getting tangled. I still get them tangled on occasion.
My phone app can locate with gps a lost aid if I ever lose one.

With regards to the In The Ear type, just like boats, planes and vehicles there's always a compromise.
If you lose or break one of the In The Ear types because they are molded to your ear they can't just program and hand you a new one to get you going.

With the Behind The Ear type if you lose or break one they can can get you going again either with a new one or a loaner in 20 minutes.

There are advantages/disadvantages to both.

KJM

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I just got a set from Costco. Mostly for tinnitus. They were the best price. Blue tooth capable. They don't really interfere with glasses. The mask tangling can be a bit annoying if your not careful. Main thing is to keep wearing them everyday until your brain adjusts to the new sound. It seems a little noisy at first. I have found Costco service to be great and I have something like 6 months to return them. Mine and the wife's med insurance covered them so it didn't cost me anything.

KJM

Lieutenant Junior Grade
My tinnitus wasn't horrible but slowly getting worse. I find the hearing aids without masking noises help. The tinnitus doesn't go away but fades into the background more. When I don't wear the hearing aids I remember how bad it used to be. I can also play masking sounds from apps on my phone but don't use that option much.

flashback

Captain
My tinnitus wasn't horrible but slowly getting worse. I find the hearing aids without masking noises help. The tinnitus doesn't go away but fades into the background more. When I don't wear the hearing aids I remember how bad it used to be. I can also play masking sounds from apps on my phone but don't use that option much.
Makes sense, thx..

Lectro88

Petty Officer 1st Class
My ears Ring constantly, and sometime its worse than other times.
Think its called Tennis Itus
A racquet in my ears,. there's that twisted humor again.
a high pitch schril, or alarm, like nails on a chalk board.
The Doc's want me to get them, But I don't want the look on me or the the look that others give me for wearing them. not that I should care.
But the same for glasses, I should have had those 3 yrs ago too.
I just refuse to accept that I'm getting old and need help.

You are not alone.

martymcfly62

Cadet
Unfortunately it's gotta happen .. Started looking just so many out there ..
Don't mind spending a little bit just don't want to over spend if something else is comparable at a cheaper price .. Any you guys use them ? Getting older kinda stinks ..
Yeah man it's not all about getting older which I am but I started my hearing loss when I was in my teens! Oilfield rig motors, loud music with headphones. Guns without hearing protection! And to top it all off it's predisposistioned that I would have substantial hearing loss by the time I was in my early thirties. I'm on a limited budget and at present living paycheck to paycheck. Walgreens has some really decent hearing aids at a great price and they don't do a credit check. You can buy them outright or pay 39 dollars a month for 24 months and then they are yours. I think the price outright is 699 dollars and that's for a right and left hearing aid. I haven't purchased these yet as I'm still recovering from being gouged by a different company for 4,500 not including taxes and fees related to these aids that are really no better than the dung on the bottom of a feedlot. Greedy people! Hearing is one of the God given senses that we are blessed with from our creator. How or why does another human exploit something that is given to us by God for our well being and turn out large profits from it! The tech knowledge has been around for many years now and those that make these aids spend pennies on the electronics used to produce a hearing aid. Check out Walgreens. There are cheaper ones but the craftsmanship and quality of them suck. My hearing has gone from moderately severe to severe and I've got to where I can't hear anything. This hearing loss affects my siblings and my mother had hearing loss so bad that I asked her at one time if she needed batteries for her hearing aids and she replied that she didn't have any lemonade. Bless her heart... Hope this helps.

Last edited: