Head plumbing diagram needed

kevs_gone

Cadet
My boat has had some of the head plumbing "re-worked" at some point in the past. Looking at the pumpout plumbing it goes from the holding tank to a "Y" connector then out to the deck fitting on one side and to a stub of a hose on the other side. This stub of hose is semi blocked off (stuffed with a rag). I have not been using the head due to lack of knowledge on how this plumbing works. Can I remove this "Y" connector and replace it with a hose barb to connect the tank to the pumpout? I am afraid that in it's current configuration, if I try to pump it out the stub of hose connected to the "Y" will allow the vacuum to leak and the tank will not pump out. I also assume that this stub of hose will see a source of odor if the head gets used. Any Idea why there might be a "Y" in this location (between the tank and the cleanout)?
Any insight into this would be appreciated.

Kevin

gcboat

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Head plumbing diagram needed

A 'Y' fitting is installed in your system to allow overboard discharge. Now, if you're in a landlocked lake or closer than three miles to shore it is prohibited to use this function. So, with the valve installed it will either let you pump overboard or into your holding tank.
You can alleviate the valve with no issues but the line must go directly to the holding tank- nothing overboard.
The replacement hose is quite expensive so be prepared for a bit of sticker shock. ( sanitary hose )
It's not the nicest job to do but if you plan to use the head properly and within the law - well, just grin and bear it. :eek:
Flushing the system out a few times with fresh water and some bleach will destroy some of the odor but there's a good chance some residual will remain in the hose itself. :(

kevs_gone

Cadet

Thanks for the reply, however I must have not made the situation clear. The "Y" in the hose is after the macerator/ overboard discharge valve.. It is about about 3/4 of the way to the bow cleanout fitting under the v-berth.

Kevin

gcboat

Lieutenant Commander

Gee Kev,

I'm kinda' lost on that one. Is there a way you can get some pics and post them? :confused:

kevs_gone

Cadet

I'll try to get pics this weekend. I think they either replaced part of the pumpout hose and used the "y" to splice instead of a coupler or they put this "y" in to use as a shorter pumpout. The pumpout fitting is at the point of the bow and this "Y" is located directly under the bow hatch in the v-berth storage area. So I guess you could pass the pumpout hose thru the hatch and connect it to this "y" hose and not have to pumpout through so much hose. I might just fill the holding tank and see if it pumps out... Or see which one it pumps out through best. Or who knows maybe they had a problem with cloggin up the pumpout hose and this was a mid hose "clean out".

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

I'll try to get pics this weekend. I think they either replaced part of the pumpout hose and used the "y" to splice instead of a coupler or they put this "y" in to use as a shorter pumpout. The pumpout fitting is at the point of the bow and this "Y" is located directly under the bow hatch in the v-berth storage area. So I guess you could pass the pumpout hose thru the hatch and connect it to this "y" hose and not have to pumpout through so much hose. I might just fill the holding tank and see if it pumps out... Or see which one it pumps out through best. Or who knows maybe they had a problem with cloggin up the pumpout hose and this was a mid hose "clean out".

man I hate P.O crap like that.

:p