Have you ever shipped a motor????

f_inscreenname

Commander
Have you ever shipped a motor????

I may have a deal on a complete big block motor from pulleys to bell housing. The problem is it’s 840 miles from home. Not that I wouldn't mind checking out my buddy's home base and his on going boat project (my boats twin). For that matter I haven't even met the man face to face (e-mail and phone). It just kind of comes down to, its a 1700 mile round trip from home to St Louis and back. So before I jump in the truck and take off I was wondering if I should have it shipped. I have a new van but between gas prices and travel expenses having it shipped may be a better way to go.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Have you ever shipped a motor????

Figure a buck to a buck fifty per mile for shipment, FSN. <br /><br />I think the pleasure of a winter road trip through the mountains is worth a bit if you have the time.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

SpinnerBait_Nut

Yea and stop and see me on the way. :D

SoulWinner

Commander

ROAD TRIP!!!!!

SpinnerBait_Nut

Yea ROAD TRIP and I'll buy you breakfast or lunch, or dinner, whatever time you come thru.

ndemge

Commander

I'm in st. louis area, let me know if you need any local hlep.<br /><br />Is this guy willing to crate it and palletize it for you? Shipping should not be bad, can even give you the # to a couple local LTL companies I use at work.

f_inscreenname

Commander

Hey SBN sounds like you need a friend. I was thinking a road trip also and I do have the time but being a sub contractor also means I don't have a lot of extra money. $800 to $1200 changed my mind. Being it will be just me (no family food/pee brakes) it shouldn't cost nearly that much (he says with his fingers crossed). I also hear Rt 70 West is like a super speedway. Not that I am a speed demon but there should be a “interstate lane” for people going state to state. Straight on through at 75mph.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Never have to many friends FSN. Just a friendly invite was all.

ndemge

Commander

how bout this, I install that big block in my van and drive it to ya, and you can have the 350 that's currently in there :)

f_inscreenname

Commander

ndemge I don't think I will need any help in that department. Barry2002 (a member here) is my internet bud and I am sure he would do it if I asked but the trucking fee for 1000 to a 1200lb idem sound like it may be to much money. Thanks for the offer.... I may come calling on you for a meal. SBN offered one. If I can put you down for one and a few others I could save the food money. :D Any one own a gas station in Ohio... :D :D

f_inscreenname

Commander

And SBN.... Thank you. A true iboater.Unless you plan on turning me into jerky. :D

SpinnerBait_Nut

Hey no problem, that is if you come down this way. You might shoot across the top and not come thru Kentucky though.

one more cast

Captain

I shipped a basket case Indian motorcycle in a huge box(500+ lbs.) once from NY to OR and it was about $700. If you have it shipped to a business it should be a little cheaper. I sent it by Yellow trucking.

f_inscreenname

Commander

OMC Thanks but that is still going to be high. Maybe I should shout out for anyone coming east who want to make a couple bucks on the way. :)

ndemge

Commander

F'in... what's your zip?

dolluper

Captain

What kind of big block weighs that much

SpinnerBait_Nut

Originally posted by dolluper:<br /> What kind of big block weighs that much
A BIGGUN :D :p

f_inscreenname

Commander

It is the whole motor (exhaust mans, bellhousing etc) Got the number off another board. If wrong, sorry.<br />Zip 21060.<br /> Got to go get kids.... Be back around 7:30 est

ndemge

Commander

Just called my freight guy...<br />Russ @ Conway Freight: 866-229-2900<br /><br />48x48x48" box, 1,000lbs No Fluids<br />Dock - Dock shipment $249.53<br /><br />Dimensional change will raise it slightly, but less than $50 unless huge difference.