Have LP's, But no turntable ??? ???

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
WHo has old LP's or 45's laying around, but no turntable to play them on?<br /><br />WHY?<br /><br />Why not go get a turntable for $89 and play then, or record them onto cd with your computer?<br /><br />Come on, fess up.<br /><br />And what is the WORST / most embassassing LP in your collection?

Bassy

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Have LP's, But no turntable ??? ???

Hey I have a drawer full of 45's. They're my older brothers and I asked them a few years ago if they wanted them and they said No. I hated to let them go, so I keep them for .... I don't even know. Heck, I have Alice Cooper, Elton John, Doobie Brothers, Bread, CCR and so many others and I'd have to say the most embarrassing one(but Oh I was soo in love with him at 13 yrs. old)...... Donnie Osmond.<br />Bassy<br />Edit: I gave up my albums a few years ago to the Salvation Army.

hayhauler

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I've got some John Denver, some Cat Stevens and a bunch of other stuff. I'm not even sure what I have. I don't have a functional turntable, so I can't record them onto another media.

Dunaruna

Admiral

Turntables (cheap ones) are available for USB connection, once on your harddrive you can burn to CD or DVD.<br /><br />Aldo

pjc

Lieutenant Commander

LP.....original music from the musical/stage show "Hair"

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

I collected about 550-45's and about 300LP's. They once supported me for about 3 years as a full time DJ. I have just about everything from the Rodeo Song by Showdown to the Bay City Rollers. :rolleyes: <br /><br />One day I just gave it up. Guess I was tired of seeing people getting trashed every night. I still have my tables and play my records often. My most prize album is that of ZZ Top just before their plane crash. It is the one with them surrounded my flames. After the crash the album was of the group with a black background.<br /><br />IMHO I like turntable sound better when played at a decent level.

cajun555

Chief Petty Officer

My 4 year old Grandson was over the other day. He saw one of my old LP's and said,"Grandpa, where did you get that big CD?"<br /><br />I Don't think I would waste my time converting LP's to CD's. Remember the needle skipping, the poping sound and when the needle would get stuck in a scratch. NO WAY, I'll stick to my 8 tracks.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by SS MAYFLOAT:<br /> My most prize album is that of ZZ Top just before their plane crash. It is the one with them surrounded my flames. After the crash the album was of the group with a black background.<br /><br />
I believe you mean Lynyrd Skynyrd - Street Survivors, October 1977<br /><br />But zztop is starting a new tour with the reformulated Lynyrd Skynyrd as the opening act. Ricky Medlock is back too.<br /><br />As for the quality issue of converting lp to cd, most of my lp's have been played less than a half dozen times. Once to the get recording level set, and once to record to cassette, then maybe a couple times after that. I still have a complete boxed set of the Beatles, unopened till last month. Free and not so free software is available to record the lp's to digital format, break them into individual tracks, clean up the hiss, even improve the dynamic range a bit, if you want to do all that.<br /><br />It has saved me a fortune over the cost of buying cd's to replace the lp's. I have most of my 400+/- lp's on cd now. Can you see me trying to justify spending $7000 to replace all those albums?

Bassy

Lieutenant Commander

You have a good point, Roscoe.

JasonB

Lieutenant

Funny this thread came up, I was in K-mart a couple days ago and they have a retro style tabletop radio witha cd player and a turntable with speed settings for 33's, 45's and 78's.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

I've got two turntables and a microphone.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

roscoe, sorry about that, your absoulutly right. It is Lynard Skynard. The last 3 weeks my brain has been mush. I hate family fueds and I'm not talking about the game show!<br /><br />At least with an album if it skips, you can bump the needle and continue with the song. Can't do that with a CD unless you have one of those fancy DJ style CD turntables.<br /><br />12Footer, now all you need is a mixer and you can become a DJ! :D

Butch Ammon

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have tons of albums up in the attic. My collection ranges from Deep Purple, Led Zepplin, Cream, The Who, and a few Stones albums, up to the early 80's with Rush, Triumph, and some of Ozzy's albums with the late great Randy Rhodes on guitar.<br /><br />The most embarrassing album? It's not mine, but my wifes albums. She has Anne Murray, John Denver, ABBA, and the most gay-est album of the all - that will never be associated with my albums - I mean, it will not even touch any of my albums - is Air Supply.<br /><br />Butch A.

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

actually bought a turntable about 8mo ago after I<br />bought about 10 pristine classic rock albums at a<br />thrift store. since then I collected another 50<br />or so, all for about $1 apiece ;) <br />some day they will be collector pieces prob...<br /><br />Bassy, u bring back memories of my sis & her Donnie<br />posters, and 12footer please don't sing :p

NYMINUTE

Captain

Nobody was allowed to buy Air Supply alblums, it was aginst the law in the US. At least that is what my daughter thought in 1980.