Have I Been Had

kanghee

Cadet
I blew my 2001 Mercury, 225HP EFI up last fall. I had a shop in Pennsylvania put a new power head on it, or so I thought. I have had trouble getting on plane and generally it doesn't run well after I do get on plane. I just bought a pressure gauge and find that I am getting between 90 and 95 lbs. pressure on all of the cylinders. Is this kinda low for this motor? The motor probably has about 25 hours on it. This may be a dumb question, but is there any way to clean my injectors by flushing through the fuel system or similar processes without dismantling the front end of my motor?

Starppy

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Have I Been Had

I wouldn't panic over those numbers. It depends on the conditions of the test. At least they are all fairly even.

I would say that if you are having issues and you had the work done at a good shop, they should stand behind it. I wouldn't mess with it until you talk to theym. Give them a chance to make it right. It's probably more a matter of adjustment.

hkeiner

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Compression gauges are not always that accurate. I would try using another gauge before concluding that the compression is as low as your first test indicated. As previously stated, the range of compression between cylinders is much more important than the compression reading on the gauge. It is unlikey that all cylinders are equally low in compression, but it is always possible.

kanghee

Cadet

Borrowed my friends compression gauge and I got approx. 95# on all cylinders. Could the rings not be seated with 20 to 25 hours and correct break in procedures? **Just got back from Mercury dealer, checked compression, 100 to 105# across the board. Called people that put the power head on and he said I did not have it broken in yet. The motor has at least 25 hours on it. Thoughts?

Last edited: