Have an engine, need a boat

sledguy

Cadet
Hi all. I just acquired a 35 hp outboard which weighs 120 lbs. My question for those who know such things, what size aluminum boat can it safely be attached to?
My fishing partner and I weigh 450 lbs combined, gas tank, battery and gear another 100 lbs. Total weight in the boat 550 lbs.
Any information will be greatly appreciated.

americanmcss

Seaman
Re: Have an engine, need a boat

I have an older 12' Valco that works really well. Its rated for up 20 hp though. I have had well over 600 lbs worth of people and gear in it as well with no issues. I would assume that you would be looking for something in the 14-16' range to handle that kind of hp. However I havent looked into the new boat market so I dont know what the hp ratings are for the newer 12' models. Definately go with aluminum in my opinion. They are lighter and far more durable than a fiberglass. Valco imo is a really good value if you can find one, as they are usually nice and wide and have tall sides. Duroboats are pretty good as well. I'm not a fan of sea nymphs as they are usually more narrow. Good luck with the search.

pootnic

Chief Petty Officer

Whats the style fishing you do?
How about the size waters your going to frequent?
Something in the 16' range would be nice.ModV 1652 tiller,great for middle/smaller lakes and rivers.I wouldn't want anything smaller with 2 bigger guys and gear.As far as brands,theres all kinds.I kinda like a welded hull but there are millions of riveted boats out there and there doing just fine as well.
You could even go bigger but you will wishing that 35hp was bigger after abit.
Almost every newer boat will have a capacity plate on them telling you the weight it can carry and the size outboard that is "aloud".

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

I think you ought to consider other factors than gross weight in selecting your boat. A 35 would be perfect on a 16' Carolina skiff or flat jon, fair on a 16' tin bowrider, a dog on a 16' glass tri-hull.

Start with hull design. then think about horsepower rather than weight. Then weight last.

For example, you can put a 35 on a boat with a console that would be too small for a tiller. A 35 is good on a 13' whaler and deadly on a 13' tin jon. The newer ratings plates factor in motor weight, hull design and horsepower together, so go look around at dealers, marinas and on line for boats rated for 35's (up to 45).

Remember, if it's an electric start, not a pull start, you have to have a battery--there's about 40# to factor in. Typically you'd use a 6 gallon gas tank, maybe two of them.