have a 88 2.3L omc,with water in oil,plz help

j4gwig

Cadet
I just replaced plugs wires,changed points out to electric ignition system,took boat out last weekend for the first time this year and it was running very rough,checked oil and had water in it,I changed the oil and started it on the muffs and again water in the oil,I noticed that there was a bolt taken out of the intake manifold,and was not put back in,I replaced the bolt,changed oil again and still milky,so my question is can anything else cause water in oil,and that bolt being out of the intake and running the boat could the gasket be toast,,or is the head gasket toast,the boat has never overheated..

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Re: have a 88 2.3L omc,with water in oil,plz help

I just replaced plugs wires,changed points out to electric ignition system,took boat out last weekend for the first time this year and it was running very rough,checked oil and had water in it,I changed the oil and started it on the muffs and again water in the oil,I noticed that there was a bolt taken out of the intake manifold,and was not put back in,I replaced the bolt,changed oil again and still milky,so my question is can anything else cause water in oil,and that bolt being out of the intake and running the boat could the gasket be toast,,or is the head gasket toast,the boat has never overheated..

Howdy,

Water in the oil isn't completely removed by 1 oil change because there's usually a little in the bottom of the pan that stays........after a couple of changes if you still have water in the oil, OR if the oil level increases when you run it, you'll need to pressure check the block and head.

Water in marine engines is most frequently caused by a cracked block (from freeze damage)

j4gwig

Cadet

Howdy,

Water in the oil isn't completely removed by 1 oil change because there's usually a little in the bottom of the pan that stays........after a couple of changes if you still have water in the oil, OR if the oil level increases when you run it, you'll need to pressure check the block and head.

Water in marine engines is most frequently caused by a cracked block (from freeze damage)

im in st.louis mo. area and we really didnt have to bad a winter,the boat was winterized ,I hooked a pump to antifreeze and pumped till pink fluid was coming out,,you dont think the intake bolt being left out could cause water in oil

Bondo

Staff member

im in st.louis mo. area and we really didnt have to bad a winter,the boat was winterized ,I hooked a pump to antifreeze and pumped till pink fluid was coming out,,you dont think the intake bolt being left out could cause water in oil

Ayuh,.... Pressure test the cooling system,... I'm Bettin' you've got a freeze cracked block....

Got a picture of this bolt you mention...

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

If I'm not mistaken, St. Louis does get freezing temps. The only way to ENSURE that you don't freeze an iron engine block is to drain the water. Just pumping Anti-freeze into it doesn't remove the water and doesn't mix thoroughly with the water that's already there.

Without knowing exactly where your bolt is missing and whether or not the hole goes into the block I cannot say.

Install the bolt, change the oil a couple more times ......maybe dilute the oil with some diesel......no more than a quart or so to help emulsify the oil/water mixture long enough to drain it all..... run the engine a bit and drain it.

Then on your last oil change, put the boat in the water and run it hard and long enough to get it FULLY to operating temp to evaporate all the remaining water out.

If the oil still turns milky and oil level rises, you most probably have a cracked block.

If you're curious before you run it, pressure check the cooling system.

j4gwig

Cadet

If I'm not mistaken, St. Louis does get freezing temps. The only way to ENSURE that you don't freeze an iron engine block is to drain the water. Just pumping Anti-freeze into it doesn't remove the water and doesn't mix thoroughly with the water that's already there.

Without knowing exactly where your bolt is missing and whether or not the hole goes into the block I cannot say.

Install the bolt, change the oil a couple more times ......maybe dilute the oil with some diesel......no more than a quart or so to help emulsify the oil/water mixture long enough to drain it all..... run the engine a bit and drain it.

Then on your last oil change, put the boat in the water and run it hard and long enough to get it FULLY to operating temp to evaporate all the remaining water out.

If the oil still turns milky and oil level rises, you most probably have a cracked block.

If you're curious before you run it, pressure check the cooling system.
how do i pressure test the cooling system,is that something I can do at home

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

how do i pressure test the cooling system,is that something I can do at home

Absolutely. If you take a look at the fixed ("Sticky") messages at the top of this list, there should be instructions in there on how to do it.

Basically, you're isolating the manifold and riser from the block (remove the cooling water hoses from them)

blocking off the other hoses to the block and head and applying air pressure to the block and head. Use an air compresser, valve and gage that you can buy at most hardware stores. Use whatever plumbing fittings required to make it work. All you're doing is closing off all the holes and pumping air in an open one.

The engine should easily hold 15 PSI. Once you pump it up, you just close the valve and see if the gage drops. It'll either drop because you didn't seal it up properly or you have a leak........ And you'll hear the leak.

j4gwig

Cadet

Absolutely. If you take a look at the fixed ("Sticky") messages at the top of this list, there should be instructions in there on how to do it.

Basically, you're isolating the manifold and riser from the block (remove the cooling water hoses from them)

blocking off the other hoses to the block and head and applying air pressure to the block and head. Use an air compresser, valve and gage that you can buy at most hardware stores. Use whatever plumbing fittings required to make it work. All you're doing is closing off all the holes and pumping air in an open one.

The engine should easily hold 15 PSI. Once you pump it up, you just close the valve and see if the gage drops. It'll either drop because you didn't seal it up properly or you have a leak........ And you'll hear the leak.

ok thanks to all who have been trying to help, I am going to give it a try tomorrow,,I had been working on the boat in drive way with the muffs,and had no water in oil,so I dont think winter was a factor,but than again I am a auto mechanic,I dont know s!!!! about boats,,would a bad intake gasket let water in the oil.on this engine.I just keep thinking leaving that bolt up of the intake could be biting me in my *****...

j4gwig

Cadet

ok here's whats going on now,we changed the intake gasket and rebuilt the carb.started it up in a tub of water and got no water in oil,but it seemed to get a little warm,so we hooked up the muffs with water pressure very low cooled right down with no water in oil,the next day worked on carb.adjustment,with low water pressure again, no water in oil,had to take carb back apart,put on today,got the boat running good and smooth,but had water pressure up a little higher and we got water in the oil,where going to change the oil again 3rd time now and take it down to the river and leave it on the trailer start it up and see what happens,,what the hells going on with this thing,,HELP!!!!!

Idlespeedonly

Senior Chief Petty Officer

The problem with using the tub is the pump usually wont prime it self. That is why it got hot on you. Now you get to work on the impeller. You may have burnt it up(hopefully not). I would do the pressure test. I think you already know the results of the lake test are going to be. Also when on the muffs you need the water wide open.

j4gwig

Cadet

The problem with using the tub is the pump usually wont prime it self. That is why it got hot on you. Now you get to work on the impeller. You may have burnt it up(hopefully not). I would do the pressure test. I think you already know the results of the lake test are going to be. Also when on the muffs you need the water wide open.

no I didnt let it get hot in the tub maybe 140 or 150 ,,well any way back from the river,boat run good,seem to have got a little water in oil,looked kind of milky got it back home,check oil no water and same oil level,,if i turn muffs on full pressure it will get water in the oil ,that im sure of...

Idlespeedonly

The impeller can go in as little as 30 seconds with no water. The engine is full of water. So it will take a while for it to heat up. My money os a head gasket since it seems to be a slow leak.

j4gwig

Cadet

The impeller can go in as little as 30 seconds with no water. The engine is full of water. So it will take a while for it to heat up. My money os a head gasket since it seems to be a slow leak.

all man,,Idlespeedonly your full of good news lol.guess thats better news than a cracked block,it seemed to run cool at the river,but impeller probably a good idea, being i have not changed it in the 3 yrs i owned the boat,

Idlespeedonly

Good luck on it. I keep 2 pump assemblies on my boat all the time. I drove over two hours to put the boat in. Had both kids with me and planning on spending the night on the water. Only to burn one up on the ramp with no spare. Long trip back home. When those blocks freeze i have no clue where they crack. Somebody will come along that will know more.

j4gwig

Cadet

Good luck on it. I keep 2 pump assemblies on my boat all the time. I drove over two hours to put the boat in. Had both kids with me and planning on spending the night on the water. Only to burn one up on the ramp with no spare. Long trip back home. When those blocks freeze i have no clue where they crack. Somebody will come along that will know more.

did compression check today 120 across all cylinders ,

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

did compression check today 120 across all cylinders ,
A compression check won't tell you anything about if a block is cracked or not.

You need to do a pressure test of the cooling system.

j4gwig

Cadet

A compression check won't tell you anything about if a block is cracked or not.

You need to do a pressure test of the cooling system.

i took it back down to the river run it on trailer in water again,oil turns milky,but oil level stays the same,im thinking i still have water in the pan,and it wont idle at 650rpm,will idle great at 900rpm's..wouldn't oil level rise if I was still taking water in the oil..is anybody around st.louis area that can do this pressure test on coolant system

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

depends on how bad the leak is.

Pressure test is pretty easy to do. You just have to buy some plumbing pieces and cobble one together. Basically block off the hoses to the exhaust manifold and select a pipe size that will insert into a hose that feeds the thermostat housing. Buy one of the gas line testers that includes a gauge and a schraeder valve and use pipe adapters to get something that is close to the size of the hose it needsd to fit into.

Something like this is what you want to buy along with some other plumbing pieces.
http://www.amazon.com/Jones-Stephens-Corp-G64-015-Assembly/dp/B000HEC3YK/ref=pd_cp_hi_0

j4gwig

Cadet

ok if i plug off all these hoses going to the front of the engine but one,lets call it the thermostat housing,, and blow air in there,the exhaust manifold bolts right to the head aint the air just going to go out the exhaust,or out the carburetor from the intake..

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

That's why you plug up the hose going to the manifold. The exhaust manifold only gets its water from the hose leaving the thermostat housing. It does not receive water from the block.