Has anyone killed a deer yet?

boatsalotjay

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Has anyone killed a deer yet?

Haven't killed a deer, but we shot a cow elk yesterday. Does that count? :)

NathanY

Commander

Good job Jay ;) What did you take it down with?

rolmops

Vice Admiral

I have tame suburban deer in my backyard,they like to be petted and do not like long nasty arrows being put into them.We have fed these deer for the last few years and they walk around with tick collars.

Fly Rod

Commander

:) Tick collars!!!! :rolleyes: <br /><br />Give me a break!!! :eek: <br /><br />They are meant to be harvested!!! :D <br /><br />Arrows are not nasty weapons!!!! They do a proper job in taking down game!!!! ;) :cool:

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Tame deer... Reminds of all the deer that used to eat my shrubs. About 13 years ago I had a very small 2 br cape with shrubs all across the front. In winter I used to drape this black mesh from the front steps handrails to corners of the house covering the shrubs so the darn deer wouldn't eat them. <br /> <br />One evening a deer got between the shrubs and the house just munching away. Saw him throught the front window and opened the door to shoo him away. He jumps over the shrubs, but catches his front legs in the mesh and goes over the shrubs head first into the concrete walkway. Knocked out cold. I go out and he wakes up and walks around the yard in circles for the next hour or so. Figure he has a concussion and we go to bed. <br /><br />Next morning around 5:00am I get up and see the deer is sitting like a dog at the end of my driveway next to my mailbox. I return to bed only to hear a gunshot. I run back and see the newspaper delivery guy driving away and the deer has a big hole in his head kicking around in the snow leaving a big red circle of blood in my front yard. He died a few minutes later.<br /><br />The thing that bothered me about this whole episode is that my news paper delivery guy drives around with a gun in his car, feels free to shoot deer in your front yard, then leaves them there kicking and spraying blood all over the place.<br /><br />At least that deer wouldn't be eating my shrubs anymore.<br /><br />That is my story about tame deer.

EdW

Cadet

My son got a doe this morning around 8:30. He wasn't going to stick her, but after she milled around under his stand for a while, then left, then came back, he just couldn't pass up the opportunity.

boatsalotjay

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Actually I didn't shoot it, my season is later. Wish it had been me though. My dad got it with one shot from his .270, at about 80 yards or so. Pretty neat experience. Only the second elk for our family so far. (I shot one two years ago)

FLATHEAD

Captain

Have had doe under my stand every time out so far, also passed up a few smaller buck. There is a real good 8 point and a sweet 10 in the area. Going this morning. If I stick one I'll post up a pic.

gaugeguy

Captain

No deer yet, but I do have a bear in the freezer. Passed on several does. Saw my first heavy racked buck of the season Saturday morning, but didn't get closer than 50 yards. He'll be back. Still bow season here, smoke pole season starts Nov 1st.

oddjob

Commander

I wish I had the luxury (time) of passing on a doe. I dont even bother going down here near the Glades. I have to drive about 2.5 hours north just west of Melborn. Typically just one weekend a year. Maybe I'll hold back and wait some this year if I get out there opening week. I'll try.....Not! meats meat, a mans gotta eat. :D

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander

Yeah, with the front of my car!<br />Never been one to use a tree stand, too unsporting and boring just waiting in ambush for them to walk by. I prefer hunting deer horseback in the mountains. That way if I don't get one I at least have a nice afternoon with nature.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Starts Nov 6th here in Texas.<br /><br />About the tame deer, they are only tame until the run in front of your car and do about 3000 dollars worth damage. Or kill you.<br /><br />Deer are way overpopulated here in Texas.<br /><br />Ken

Butch Ammon

Petty Officer 1st Class

Not yet....<br /><br />It's bow season here in VA and I've been out 3 times so far. All I've seen is a teeny tiny yearling doe. I really had to restrain myself from drawing back on her. Cute little thing, about 25 yards from my Summit tree stand... Didn't even know I was there... ;) <br /><br />Don't get me wrong... I could have launched an arrow at her and easily taken her, but, ethics played a role here. She couldn't have been more than 50 pounds if that. I mean, it would have been like shooting someone's German Shepard!<br /><br />Anyway, as I watched her cross 25 yards away, I though to myself, "that's right honey, go on and find your Daddy... Bring him back here!" :cool: <br /><br />Butch A.

ehenry

Commander

My boy stuck a big doe a couple weeks ago. We should be getting me meat back from the processor this week. Last weekend he drew on a buck that was walking by his stand and when he released the arrow it buried up in a tree. :p it thoroughly bent him out of shape.

Carphunter

Commander

Not yet here either. I have had many does within shooting range, and several small bucks, but not the big one i'm lookin for. The good huntin is just startin here though.<br /><br />A buddy of mine shot a 130 class 9-pointer, his first buck with a bow. Weighed an even 200 lbs. Very nice buck. One of my friends got the kill on film also.<br /><br />Good luck fellas. :)

aspeck

Staff member

Ruts just about to start getting fun here. Maybe next week I will get a little time...

tcube

Petty Officer 1st Class

DIL got two with one shot. . . .of her Dodge Ram 3500. Kinda messed up the front end.

Carphunter

Commander

Bambi never should have been born!<br /><br />One of the worst anti-hunting films ever created.<br /><br />........of course, what do you expect from the Evil Empire. ;)