Hard Top Toons?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtodd

Cadet
Does anyone here own a hardtop toon? Do you find it to catch air or make it difficult to drive more so than a typical pontoon?

Just doing some shopping and still thinking about the hardtop and slide option for my kids. Just not sure that I will like the hardtop and slide when the kids get a little older.

EGlideRider

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Hard Top Toons?

My last three had hardtops. The difference in handling is negligible.

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

My 24' Starcraft pontoon has a 100 pound, 12" thick aluminum hardtop on it. I've removed the top from time to time, and couldn't tell any difference in speed.

When you get some side waves and the boat starts rolling, it'll make some flexing creaking noise. I really like it since my boat is kept in a boathouse.

Pontoons should have the tops dropped if going over 10 miles--you can feel the drag. I would like to have an aluminum hardtop with a more aerodynamic design--lighter in weight.

IcedTea

Recruit

Just got back from a road trip to lake Murray OK about 180 miles round trip, my gas mileage was horable towing my 22 ft Voyager with a sun deck. I pull a 16 ft cargo trailer allot no big deal the boat was a different story. I got 5.5 mpg today, man what a bummer pulling that thing down the interstate is like having a parachute on my hitch.
We usually put in on lake Texoma, I can be in the water in 8 min. once i pull out of my driveway, guess I'm spoiled. The sun deck on the boat is one of the main reasons I bought it, it provides shade and a great platform to dive offf of in deep water, we love the boat. It has a 200 hp Honda and will do about 42 mph tops.

winterfunguy

Seaman

My 28 Manitou has a hard top not a sundeck, the difference being you can stand on a sundeck you can't stand on a hardtop. There has been very little effect on handling either way i've run it. I have seen some pontoons with add on upper decks and they look really unstable in rough water...I would recomend if you get a sundeck to buy a boat that came with one ands didn't have one added

smclear

Chief Petty Officer

My 24' Starcraft pontoon has a 100 pound, 12" thick aluminum hardtop on it.

Is this correct or did you miss-type? 12" thick, 100lbs?!? Something just isn't adding up in my mind. What am I missing? Got pics?

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

SMclear:

The top is 8' wide and about 10' long. It has a 18" x 8' storage tray over the driver's head. From the bottom of the tray to the highest point is 12", and it's sloped for water runoff. That's what I mean by thick. The frame is made out of 1 1/4" square aluminum tubing and flat interlocking aluminum sheets. The top folds down by swinging forward until the front of the top is flush with the front of my fencing. The 4 corner supports are held up by stainless steel bolts that attach to outside of the fence.

I like the top, but wish it was just a little more aerodynamic and a little lighter--not so "thick".

Like I said, I keep the pontoon hanging in a boathouse. I did have to build the 30' boathouse with a extra high 12.5' ceiling in order to get the boat far enough out of the water.

crb478

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Does anyone here own a hardtop toon? Do you find it to catch air or make it difficult to drive more so than a typical pontoon?

Just doing some shopping and still thinking about the hardtop and slide option for my kids. Just not sure that I will like the hardtop and slide when the kids get a little older.
My prior pontoon had a hardtop, While boating under power it was fine and very simular to any other pontoon. But when docking or anchoring the hard top was like a sail pulling you in all kind of directions. It was also more difficlut to fish from since the hard top supports seemed to always be in the way. I liked the shade it provided and the fishing rod storage under the top, but I like bimini tops much better. Just my 2 cents.

Jeff-in-PA

Chief Petty Officer

My prior pontoon had a hardtop, While boating under power it was fine and very simular to any other pontoon. But when docking or anchoring the hard top was like a sail pulling you in all kind of directions. It was also more difficlut to fish from since the hard top supports seemed to always be in the way. I liked the shade it provided and the fishing rod storage under the top, but I like bimini tops much better. Just my 2 cents.

Then you should go with a hardtop and a bimini top :D

winterfunguy

Seaman

I agree that the hardtop is wasting 1/2 the boat for fishing, but having the shade is sure nice when the sun is frying you. Another issue with the hard top is that when the boat rocks from large wakes the hardtop tends to rock as well...not a huge issue but it is an annoyance. I agree as well with it acting as a sail when docking. I still love my hardtop though.

cemcrae53

Cadet

Our last pontoon had a 16' fiberglass hardtop. Kids loved it for diving. Captain and I loved it for
shade. Also enjoyed lighting, mister system,and stereo we were able to mount on underside of hardtop. Dry storage for light gear, clothes and bedding another plus. The main drawback we experienced was height when fueling,ect. I would recommend it and plan to add one to our
new (to us) party barge.

RJC

Recruit

Can you tell me WHERE I can get a hardtop for my toon? I think I've looked all over but apparently there is someplace to get them and I just haven't found it yet. Starting to think its hopeless.

winterfunguy

Seaman

Try Craigslist....the tops should be universal enough that as long as you get mounting hardware it should work.

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

As far as I can tell, there are no sources for fiberglass or aluminum hard tops for boats. I know that there are some subcontractors out there molding flat fiberglass canopies for tractors @ $200 cost, and they're not very heavy.

There would probably be a market for such an item--if someone would invest in a good set of molds.

johnathan777

Recruit

I have a double bimini top.Love it not in the way and can be stowed.
9596650_aJgdg

VaGent

Petty Officer 1st Class

My top is made out of 1" sq. aluminum tubing that is open frame. I had a Sunbrella snap on cover made from the old original vinyl cover. I did not have any supports for it so I took 4 pcs of 1-1/4" X 8' sq. tubing & placed pieces of solid square stock welded into the ends & then drilled out for a brass bushing & put SS bolts through each end & fastened it to the rails with clevis pins to easy removal & setup. It works great & is light weight. I'm in the process of adding a 12" shelf on each end to support the top when I lower it & have dry storage as well. The Sunbrella top snaps on or off for easy removal & cleaning.
View attachment 115388

I am also in the process of building a privacy room with a sundeck over top of it that will open up using gas struts for assistance. You can see the "open frame" top with the Sunbrella fastened to it in the pic. I've installed wiring inside the framework so I can add a couple of mini LED lights in the top. The entire top with the covering installed might weigh 30 lbs at most. It can be opened or closed with one had in less then 3 minutes. The top in this picture is "partially" closed as I am in the process of adding a sundeck but you can see the uprights that support the top & see the open frame top itself with the Sunbrella covering that snaps in to the frame.

DSC00161.JPG

Last edited:

coleman kayak1

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have a hard top on my octapon. I am blessed to live a mile from the lake so it rarely gets taken down. On longer drives I can notice it in my f-250 diesel but it doesn't do much beside drop the mileage a tid bit. When I tow with my toyota tacoma even to the lake it makes a huge difference. Its 4 bolts and one guy can lower it in under 10 minutes so not a real huge deal.

As for on the water, I'm not sure as I've never really drove the boat without it. Our neighbor used to have a 20 foot with a bimini and I didn't notice any difference in handling for what its worth.

Mine is held up by 4 1x1 angle tube and it is constructed much like an aluminum truck canopy, some 1x4 and 1x1 aluminum tube with sheeting riveted to it. It weighs about the same as one too I'd say, during the redecking I easily moved it by myself. Its perferct for fishing, swimming, etc. I couldn't design one better if I tried. Pole storage (homebrew) makes it even handier.

boat-1.jpg

Randy West

Recruit

I have a 2011 20' Misty Harbor pontoon w/ 90 Suzuki, when not using our large tube there was no where for it to ride without being in the way. Also when our bimini top was down it would mildew badly. There was "nowhere" that offered a true hard top for a pontoon...........so I researched the possibility of having one built. I found the material I wanted to use, designed the top to fit my pontoon and found someone that would take on the proect. One week to recieve the materials and one week to put it together. It accomodates myself, my wife and daughter on top deck. It has been road tested at 60-70 mph and water tested on 6,000 acre lake @ 30 mph and in wake........Fantastic results..........If any one is intrested in pics I will be glad to share.

Status
Not open for further replies.