Hard starting after drifting with warm engine, Volvo Penta 4.3, V6-200-J (2017), A699123, VPGAS063873, EFI fresh water cooled, SX outdrive

lazywater

Cadet
Hi all-
Boat starts on first crank when cold and idles smoothly. However, if we shut down the motor and drift for a while or dock for lunch, the boat takes a lot of cranks to restart. Is this normal? This has EFI electronic fuel injection, so the only option is to turn the key, then release for the injection system to do it's thing (the starter is locked out with beep code if you have the shifter out of neutral to prime the engine). I am using non-ethanol gas with regular 87 (not premium) octane rating. There is a consistent pitch audible whine from the area of the fuel pump.

alldodge

Staff member
Since it only does it when its hot (all warmed up) it might be vapor locked
Find the Schrader valve on the fuel rail. Use a rag over it and push in on the valve to see if air and fuel comes out. Might need to turn key ON/OFF a couple times to get nothing but fuel. Once there is nothing but fuel try to start

lazywater

Cadet
Hi all-
Boat starts on first crank when cold and idles smoothly. However, if we shut down the motor and drift for a while or dock for lunch, the boat takes a lot of cranks to restart. Is this normal? This has EFI electronic fuel injection, so the only option is to turn the key, then release for the injection system to do it's thing (the starter is locked out with beep code if you have the shifter out of neutral to prime the engine). I am using non-ethanol gas with regular 87 (not premium) octane rating. There is a consistent pitch audible whine from the area of the fuel pump.
Update. I uploaded a video of the noise to Youtube. See
. Is this normal? Both high and low pump cylinders were hot to the touch. Fewer issues with starting the engine warm after topping off the tank. Also ran a bottle of techron. I'm suspecting the screen on the intake in the pump or the check valve may be faulty?
Assuming this isn't normal, after cleaning intake screen and possibly replacing check valve/tube, do I need to replace the fuel cell? Anybody else experience this issue? We ran ethanol fuel the first 3 years of ownership which I now see was a mistake.

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member
Sounds normal for 2 electric fuel pumps pumping, but my ear/speakers are not the greatest anymore