Hard shifting '94 Mercury 60HP

seaway81

Seaman Apprentice
Hey. I have a 1994 60 hp Merc Bigfoot that has become very difficult to shift from neutral into forward or reverse. I have taken the cables off the engine and it shifts easily, so the problem is obviously in the unit itself. Anyone have an idea what the problems could be, or better yet how to solve them? I have no manual and not much experience with outboards so any advice is appreciated. Thanks

CharlieB

Vice Admiral
Re: Hard shifting '94 Mercury 60HP

First check the throttle cable adjustment, too much tension and it throws off the shift tension within the control box making it hard to move the control lever.

Generally the amount of pre-load ona throttle cable is just enough to hold a piece of paper between the throttle arm and throttle stop in the idle position, just enough that there is a measureable amount of drag on the paper but not so much as to tear the paper when dragged. Much more than this causes excessive tension on the control arm within the control box making it hard to turn into and out of gear.

seaway81

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Hard shifting '94 Mercury 60HP

Thanks Charlie. At what end do I adjust the tension? Inside the engine or at the shifter itself? It sounds like you mean at the shifter, correct? What is it that adjusts the tension? As I said, my knowledge is limited. Thanks again for your help.