Hard shifting 70

Turn4fun

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Got a mid 70's 70 hp evinrude that runs perfect but shifts really hard into both forward and reverse. I've had a lot of experience with various J&E models from the 50's and 60's and every worn out clutch dog I've dealt with only shifted hard in one direction or the other but not both. Never been into a lower unit with thru hub exhaust before so sorta in uncharted waters here. Does this sound like a clutch dog issue or something else? My idle speed is not set too high either BTW.

clanton

Rear Admiral
Re: Hard shifting 70

Check shift rod seal in gearcase. corrosion tightens the seal onto the rod.

Turn4fun

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Sorry, when I said hard shifting, I didn't mean stiff, I meant it slams into gear hard. Kinda like if you shifted while running at an overly fast idle except it's idling good and slow.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

get your idle as slow as possible. shift should be quick deliberate movement.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

Check your gearcase oil as this is likely hydro/mechanical shift and if thick it will do this. I have heard of people draining oil and refilling with ATF and running on hose for 20 minutes and shifting it will clean up pump and filter but have never tried it myself. Make sure you drain it and refill with oil...

Turn4fun

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Well this is not good. I just pulled the drain plug to check fluid and there were chunks of metal on the magnetic tip. Long, slender chunks. What do you think, clutch dog or gears?

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

Pinion bearing or gear, start looking on Ebay...

Turn4fun

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Guess I'll tear it down. If the pinion gear is ate up, generally the forward and reverse are too and I'm pretty sure you are supposed to replace as a set anyway. I know that's at least a $300 set and I'd hate to buy all the parts and then discover it's just a bad clutch dog.

I've dealt with a bad pinion gear on a Chrysler motor before and it felt kinda crunchy when turned by hand and wanted to grind a bit. This doesn't feel or sound like that at all. Just a hard "clunk" when going into gear, but once in gear it stays there and there are no abnormal sounds or vibrations. I almost want to say it's like one of the ears has sheared from the clutch dog but if that were the case I would expect the hard shift in just one direction.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

Get yourself a FACTORY service manual as these are not easy to teardown without proper instructions especially the shift rod disassembly and reassembly