Hard(ly) starting '77 Merc 7.5

steam_mill

Chief Petty Officer
My old Merc is still hard to start. Has great spark and went it starts runs great!<br /><br />Here is where I'm at:<br /><br />Put outboard on back of boat for first time this year (stored properly etc. etc.). Pulled and pulled and pulled. Nothing at all. Zero. Zip. Nada.<br /><br />Pull the motor off, go to the workshed. Figure let's test for spark. Put in spark tester, pull cord. Motor starts right up with hardly a pull.<br /><br />Put motor in water bucket. Hook up gast tank. No start.<br /><br />Take motor off stand. Roll it over on the ground (yes, duplicating taking it off boat). Put on stand in bucket. STARTS RIGHT UP!<br /><br />Hook tank to it. Runs for 20 minutes, not even a sputter. Water pump pumps etc. etc.<br /><br />Stop motor. Restarts no problem. Try restarting at least 5 times, no problem.<br /><br />Disconnect fuel line. Let motor run dry. Pump the bulb. Will not start 'till I roll the motor over on the ground again.<br /><br />I've been having problems starting this motor since late last summer.<br /><br />I figure I'm flooding the engine by pumping the bulb.<br /><br />I've tried half pump of bulb, several pumps etc. Bulb does get hard.<br /><br />I'M STUMPED!!!<br /><br />Motor runs great once it is started. Idles great too.<br /><br />Any ideas. I've got SELOC, no help.<br /><br />Tx.<br /><br />Joe

jleus

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Hard(ly) starting '77 Merc 7.5

Fuel, fire, and air, thats all she requires. Fire has been established and air is generally not a problem. Just got through with one that had trash in the carb. When I do a fuel system repair I don't warrent my work unless I can have the tank for inspection / cleaning. The man didn't bring the tank, assured me he would look into it, and the motor was fixed after a carb cleaning and was running great on my tank. He was back after the first day out to let me remove the water from the carb bowl and the gas tank.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

sound like the float is sticking, if you have to roll it over.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Easy check...<br /><br />Make sure your choke butterfly is closing fully. It's not uncomon the cable-pull chokes to get out of adjustment and only close part way. Mercs typically need lots of choke to start cold...<br />- Scott