Handling issues

Desert_Bassin

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Handling issues

Thanks CalicoKid and RodC, I have taken the hydrofoil off, why it was there I have no idea, its been on there since I bought the boat years ago, but I have been simi restoring it so I havent really ran it much till this year. As far as raising the motor, I dont see any way of raising it, remember its 1962 model, I cant see any adjustments on the bracket that has the bolts thru the transom. If lifting it will make that much diffrence, I can easily fabricate a jack plate out of 3/8" aluminum with a minimal setback, I just dont know if it is that critical on this old of a boat.<br /><br />Thanks again.

danie

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Desert_Bassin<br />Please let us know what difference the loss of the hydrofoil made. I may have the same problem on my one boat.<br />D

Desert_Bassin

Seaman Apprentice

Ok, finally got to get back on the water... took of the hydrofoil thingy, man what a diffrence in handling, adjusted the trim after a few runs, managed to gain about 7 MPH over my last outing with the hydro. Now a new problem, handles great for about 1/8 mile, then once it starts to porpose it wont stop till I throttle down a lil and then I can speed up a lil till it starts again, and this is on relativly calm water. So what can I do to help the porposing, makes for one rough ride :) Wait, lemmie guess? smart taps right? only one problem the the design of the hull, its mostly flat with a slight curve and rounded on the coners, no real flat place or corner to mount the tabs as I have seen on boats.<br /><br />If it will help, I can take a pic and post it, maybe nautiJohn can help with this?<br /><br />Thanks again!!

Bondo

Staff member

But I did get out and see where the cavitation plate is relative to the bottom, the plate sits 1 1/2" below the hull, from what I have read here it should be even, if not a lil higher? Also, I dont believe I can raise the motor (1962 Evinrude 75hp) without having to drill new holes thru the transom, and I'm sure thats not a good idea?
That's a Major Issue...........<br /><br />If you Need to Drill More Holes,..... Do It......<br /><br />Until the motor is Raised,.... You're just throwing Band-aids at the True Issue.........<br /><br />That's Probably Why the previous owner put the whaletail on it.........<br /><br />Smart Tabs might Help,... But Fixing the Core Issue will be Much More Effective..........

CalicoKid

Lieutenant Commander

You should put on a hydrofoil to control that porpoising ;) ;) ;) <br /><br />Did the steering improve? How does it handle the turns now? How did the holeshot change?<br /><br />I believe engine height is your next big issue. If you can make a nice setback/jackplate that would be great. There are many good manufactured ones out there as well. <br /><br />Get a picture of the boat up here OK? :)

QC

Supreme Mariner

A temporary mini-fix to the porpoising is to shift weight to the bow. If there is anything heavy, stow it as far forward as possible; this will help. Ice chest is great one if there is room; might be closer to you too. :D

Desert_Bassin

Seaman Apprentice

Ok heres some pics that may help sort this out...<br />
10afd233.jpg
477599e0.jpg
c7a25019.jpg

Moody Blue

Captain

Nice looking boat d-b. Glad to hear you are making good progress with the handling issues. Looks like the hydrofoil was installed to eliminate the porpoising. I agree also that the motor needs to be raised about 2". Doing so will make a big improvement in handling and should give you a few more MPH still. Has the turning issue been corrected with the removal of the foil ?

Desert_Bassin

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks Rod,(alot of sweat went into it, was a heap when I got it) yes I can make a decent turn while running WOT now. Yeah I guess I'm gonna have to make me a motor mount to get that thing up where it needs to be.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

Why not remove the engine, plug the existing holes & drill new ones?