Handling issues

Desert_Bassin

Seaman Apprentice
Ok, I have an OLD 1959 Larson, atleast thats what the title says, there is no plate on this boat anywhere. Its 14' fiberglass, the rise is very blunt, and the bottom at the transome is flat, with just a 1 1/2" keel, it has a strong running Evinrude 1962 v4 75 hp motor with a 9 1/4 X 10 prop, motor came with a hydrofoil attached. I've had the boat a few years now and have it nice and clean looking, it hasnt been ran much since I have been working on it. So I take it out for 2 days last week with the kids, total of 4 of us on the boat, while running at full throttle the speedo says 27 or so mph, dunno how accurate it is, old airguide, rpms were right about 5000.<br />(trying to give as much info as I can)<br /><br />Now for the problem, when running wideopen or theres about, the boat does not want to turn, the boat lists ALOT the more you try and turn, scary even, I have to make a VERY VERY wide turn at speed. I'm wondering if the motor is not setup propery as in too high/low, if the hydrofoil is causing it??<br />The motor only has manual tilt adjustments, which I'm sure most of you know, I have 4 options.<br /><br />I can provide pictures if that would help.<br /><br />Any tips and tricks would be greatly appreciated.<br /><br />And you prolly wonder why I would want to deal with an old boat.... it looks great hooked up to the wifes pink 59 Caddy :) <br /><br />Thanks again!

QC

Supreme Mariner
Re: Handling issues

Cool ride.<br /><br />Do you have this turning issue both directions? List to one side or the other?

Desert_Bassin

Seaman Apprentice

Yes its either way I turn, but since I live where there are only small lakes and you have to turn left, but I did try both directions just to see if it did it.

BUBBLES II

Seaman Apprentice

Pull the plug. Make sure there is no water in hull. How does it steer when you slow down?

Bondo

Staff member

Have you Tried any of your other 3 options on the trim ????<br /><br />I'd Loose the hydrofoil, if changing the Trim Doesn't help.........

Desert_Bassin

Seaman Apprentice

No water in the hull. Steering is ok at lower speeds, but it still lists alot, but not as scary. And no I didnt get a chance to change the trim while on the water, water is still way to cold to get in while I'm at the lake lol. But I am going to change before next trip out.

Desert_Bassin

Seaman Apprentice

Ok, so I set motor on the slot closest to the transom before I go to the lake, launch, hit the throttle, top speed dropped a few mph's and the boat still wont turn, just lists to the side I'm turning too. So have on of the kids jump in water :) too cold for me, have him set the pin in the furthest holes, head out to open water, throttle up, nice speed, handles a lil better not much tho, if I back of a lil to get her to turn, the prop breaks loose, accckkkk, have to throttle doen to get a bite again.<br /><br />So...I guess I will be taking the hydrofoil off and see whats goin on, really need to be able to tuen a tighter turn at speed.<br /><br />Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, I know you guys all full of good info.<br />Thanks!!

Moody Blue

Captain

the boat does not want to turn, the boat lists ALOT the more you try and turn, scary even, I have to make a VERY VERY wide turn at speed.
Are you saying the boat WILL NOT turn sharp OR that it will turn sharp but lists alot during the turn ? Does the boat just heal over to one side instead of turning ?<br />Where is the anti-ventilation plate relative to the bottom of the hull ? Higher, lower or even with it.

Desert_Bassin

Seaman Apprentice

Originally posted by RodC:<br />Are you saying the boat WILL NOT turn sharp OR that it will turn sharp but lists alot during the turn ? Does the boat just heal over to one side instead of turning ?<br />
Thanks Rodc, what I am saying is, at a good speed, if I try and turn, the boat turns VERY VERY little, nowhere near sharp, the more I turn the wheel the more it heals over ALOT. At low speeds, maybe 5 to 10 mph it turns ok.<br /> <br />Let me try and give a visual on the angle of how much it will turn.... Looking at a clock, the boat pointing to 12,straight up, the most I can get the "nose" to turn is maybe 11 (turning left) 1 (turnign right) if even that much, and the boat its self is healed towards the turn at about 40+ degrees. I could see the 40 degree angle if I was actualy making a 90 degree turn.<br /><br />Just need to figure this out so my kids can have a lil more fun behind the boat (or incase I have to dodge one of those idiot PWC people, we are sposed to ddge them right?) kinda sucks when your being towed in a straight line all day :) <br /><br />I'll put a straight edge on the bottom of the hull and see where the anti-cavitation plate is relative to the bottom.

Moody Blue

Captain

Wow, not only is that not fun but its certainly not safe either. Not an expert here but what I think you are experiencing is extreme bow steer. Caused by the bow being too deep in the water while underway. Your motor is unable for some reason to lift the bow out of the water far enough. As an experiment, try shifting alot of the load to the rear of the boat with the motor trimmed all the way out. Does this improve the handling ? The fact the prop blows out of the water may suggest the motor is mounted too high, but lets see where it is at first. Does the boat lean into the direction of the turn or away from the turn direction ?

Desert_Bassin

Seaman Apprentice

Damn, sorry bout the avatar size!!! I was thinkin it would resize it since it never said anything about the size, I've fixed the size now.<br /><br />Rodc, I'll be checking the the cavitation plate hieght tomorrow. As for the bow being too far in the water, most of the weight is in the back, when I had it set up how I thought it ran best, the water was breaking on the hull a lil shy of half way from the bow, or just under my seat.<br />As for which way it leans, into the direction, as it should, just too much :) <br /><br />Thanks

cobra 3.0

Lieutenant Commander

Have you changed the trim as Bondo has suggested? i.e. angle of motor

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

That old Larsen is a nice boat. I agree that the fin should go and proper trim be established. <br /><br />I didn't read any mention of the steering sytem. If it's the original, check the steering cables and springs. Make sure the steering system is working properly, cables are tight, springs not stretched out, and not allowing the motor to fight it.<br /><br />One thing I found helpful is to let someone else drive the boat, you watch from the dock. Bring binoculars and you can see how the boat is riding in the water. I found it hard to determine how much of the hull is in or out of the water while driving it. Even if someone else holds the wheel, leaning over the side just makes the boat lean over.

Purebreed

Seaman Apprentice

You could also take a look at the prop and make sure it is cupped enough to get the bow up a bit.

Jdeagro

iboats.com Partner

The bow is too deep in the water and you are bow steering. How long does it take to get the boat on plane? Loose the hydrofoil.

Desert_Bassin

Seaman Apprentice

Ok, I see I have my work cut out for me here....but I'm game :) <br /><br />So I'm taking the fin off before the next outing, I also have 3 props to choose from, and 4 trim angles to try, si it sounds like its gonna be a long WET day on the water, but hey thats whats kids are for, right?<br /><br />Thanks for all the comments, and insite, wish I knew this site way back when I first started working this boat over.<br /><br />Once I get it figured out, do I dare mention trim tabs?? :::ducking:::

Desert_Bassin

Seaman Apprentice

OK, so I didnt make it the lake this week. But I did get out and see where the cavitation plate is relative to the bottom, the plate sits 1 1/2" below the hull, from what I have read here it should be even, if not a lil higher? Also, I dont believe I can raise the motor (1962 Evinrude 75hp) without having to drill new holes thru the transom, and I'm sure thats not a good idea? So my plan before the next outing is to start with the motor in the position closest to the transom, without the hydrofoil, then run and see how it goes, and adjust the trim and pick the best, once I have the best trim setting, I have 3 props to choose from, and see how each one runs and effects the overall handling and speed. <br /><br />Also, any ideas of a desent speed this old boat should be able to reach? usually 3 of us in the boat, light gear, I'd say 750 lb. total load.<br /><br />Thanks again peoples, this site is awsome to learn things.

CalicoKid

Lieutenant Commander

Having a hydrofoil on a motor that low is not at all ideal. Hydrofoils are most effective when they are only under water until planed off. Once planed the foil should be out of the water. The first thing I'd do is remove the foil and see what happens.

Moody Blue

Captain

Originally quoted by Calicokid <br />Having a hydrofoil on a motor that low is not at all ideal
I agree, the fin is probably causing you alot of grief. Once on plane the fin should be out of the water. One wonders however, why the fin was put on in the first place. The fin is usually installed as a "fix" to a performance problem. Why are you not able to raise the motor ? Is it up as far as possible already ? Good luck with the next test run.