halibut in the san juans

flounderman

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: halibut in the san juans

Not yet I don't have the rub rail back on the boat. Maybe 2 more weeks. Good luck to you.

Backlash

Chief Petty Officer

Just caught a 30 pounder at Middle Bank yesterday. My fishing buddy lost a bigger one about an hour before I caught mine. Ideal conditions. Going out again Sunday or Monday.<br />Backlash

flounderman

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Good goin' there Backlash. What did you catch it on? I hope to get out in about another week or so. HBH have you been out yet?

Backlash

Chief Petty Officer

Caught it on a whole herring (black label - aka "horse herring") in 150' of water. Nothing fancy - just the herring.

glasply1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Backlash - congratulations on the halibut. Did you notice if the area where you caught it was near a ledge? I'm going to start fishing for them soon in SW Whidby Island, but I thought I had to be a lot deeper, like 300-400'. How deep were you fishing?

Backlash

Chief Petty Officer

It's more of a "slope" than a ledge. We fished the eastern side of Middle Bank in water ranging from 130 to 250 feet. I caught mine in 150 feet....my fishing buddy hooked one at 185 feet (same area). There were alot of boats fishing Hein Bank the same day I was out but I didn't hear how they did. Halibut can be found in just about any depth, it just depends on where you're fishing. They're usually found pretty deep though.<br />Backlash

glasply1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Flounderman, have you purchased your downriggers yet? I was looking at Craig's List on the internet for boats and outboard motors in the Seattle area and came across a pair of downriggers. I've yet to buy anything off of Craig's list so I don't know how reliable it is.<br />Tight lines to ya!

flounderman

Petty Officer 3rd Class

No Glasply 1 I have not done that yet. I have not heard of Craig's list, but I will look into it. In Bellingham we have a place called Pacific Marine Exchange on Holly St. that has more stuff than Grandma's attic. They do have some deals if your "carefull" and if you are not, well. As wore out as my arm is electric is the only way I will go. That is why I don't own one yet. I finally got my boat back together today, maybe I can go after Halibut now. I keep forgetting how far you have to hold your head under water to call them. Have you been? Has any one else been?

Backlash

Chief Petty Officer

Went out to Middle Bank again Monday and after a tough day of fishing my partner nailed a nice 47 pounder. Caught it in 200 feet of water on the southeastern side of the bank. It was the only bite of the day for either of us. Ling Cod opens on Monday so we're hoping to go after both halibut & ling.<br />Tight lines!<br />Backlash

berniehansen

Cadet

i havent made it out yet :( too much foolin around on the boat...this weekend i have to change out the leaking water heater! how much longer on halibut and lingcod?? i shoudl try the hole off pt whitehorn before it closes just to see for myself. flounderman: my wife wont let me go into Pacific Marine anymore with out her, its our favorite store, but in truth i find better stuff on ebay. maybe this coming long weekend i give the hole a try