Half way done replacing bearings....

22E6441

Petty Officer 1st Class
Not putting bearing buddies back on, just going with dust caps. I cannot find a straight answer anywhere. Some say yes, some say no. With buddies I know this is absolutely yes. So, I've been searching this site and googling many others for the answer to a relatively simple question:

Should I pack the middle of the hubs full of grease?

Also, when I took my cotter pin and nut off, there was no washer. The bearings were directly behind the retainer nut. Weird, huh? I thought they had to have a washer? I have not put them back together yet because I figure I need to buy one.

I need a washer. Right?

HAV2FISH

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Half way done replacing bearings....

All the ones ive ever done all have had washers. Yes fill the hub with grease then put it on. This helps to get all the air out. If you have air pockets that a place water can get in and we all know thats not good.

redone4x4

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Half way done replacing bearings....

yep, FILL all the voids in the hub with grease. overfill it. then wipe off some excess if its oozing out after its on the axle. And, I would just go pick up some washers. Same thing with mine, i took it apart and they were missing so i bought some SS ones and put em on.