Half full gas tank for winter storage?

Stinnett21

Chief Petty Officer
I realize much has been written on the subject of proper percentage of fuel in the tank for winter storage but it seems I've read where the worst scenario is a half full tank. Can someone help me understand the thinking behind this? I realize the logic ranges from completely full to keep out condensation to almost empty so fresh full can be added in spring, etc., but why is half full so bad? I added stabilizer prior to my final run of the year but did not top it off afterwards.

Doh

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Full or Empty. Condensation is the issue. No Air space/no Condensation, All Air Space, all that is there come spring is the left over water.

Leardriver

Petty Officer 1st Class
Don't waste a moment worrying about it if it is just going to be put away for the winter.

zellerj

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm a full fuel tank guy. I don't leave it empty because how do you do this, where do you put 130 gallons of fuel? How do you plan the spur of the moment trips with an empty or near empty tank? Might work on smaller tanks, but not mine.

I don't buy the vapor pressure argument. Densities don't matter with gases, otherwise all of our atmospheric carbon dioxide would be at the surface because it is way heavier than the other gases that make up air.and water vapor, which is lighter than air, would be in the stratosphere. Doesn't happen. Gases are evenly distributed because there is enough spaces between molecules to allow all to mix, which is not true in condensed states of matter (liquids and solids). Mixing is the key. Heavier gases may sink for a while, but any disturbances , or enough time due to Browning motion, cause them to mix. That is why we can smell gas in the engine compartment even though we are standing a few feet above the bilge. The heating and cooling expansion and contraction cause all to mix. Best not to have a whole bunch of head space in my opinion. This will limit the oxygen that causes corrosion, or water vapor that might condense and cause issues.

Last edited:

tpenfield

Staff member
At least the OP's fuel tank is half full and not half empty :D

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
I've always stored it with whatever amount of gas it had at the end of the season, full, 3/4, 1/2, 1/4 whatever. Use Stabil and change fuel filter. Pour contents of fuel filter out in a Mason jar. Let it sit for while and if it looks like this, no worries. And yes its damp here all winter.

Attachments

• photo294669.jpg
    photo294669.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 0