hair line cracks in gel coat

piers

Seaman
Anyone,<br /><br /> I have some hairline cracks in my gel coat right at the base of my railing supports.I suspect caused by helpers pulling on the railing.Besides beefing up the support under the decking does anyone have any suggetions on repairing those hailine cracks?<br /><br /> Thanks

Elk Chaser

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: hair line cracks in gel coat

Unfortunately I know of no easy method to repair these. If anyone knows of an easy method I'd like to hear it.<br /><br />As far as I know you must first grind the cracks out, fill with a suitable filler (epoxy or the like) and then try to match the gel coat color as best as possible......<br /><br />Not to mention all the sanding required.....<br /><br />Reinforcement will help prevent the cracks from forming for the most part but if the rails are mounted directly to the surface then any movement will for sure cause the cracks to come back again eventually. <br /><br />Not sure but it may be possible to use rubber gaskets of some type between the rail and the top surface of the glass to allow for some movement while not stressing the glass to the point of cracking.

piers

Seaman
Re: hair line cracks in gel coat

Thanks EC, I think you are right I have not heard of an easy fix for this problem.I think the best bet is to beef up the support under the railing and maybe live with the cracks or have them proffesionally refinished.