hair line crack along the back botton the boat.

kalabi

Recruit
The hairline crack is about 1 inch from the back bottom of the boat. Maybe that is why i get water into the bilge not alot but could be galon or two after in the water for 45mins. Is the repair is possible or just seal the hairline crack so it won't leak.

Last edited:

tpenfield

Staff member
Hello Kalabi,

A few pictures would help in getting appropriate responses. This is on your 1990 Sea Ray 180 w/ Mercruiser 4.3/Alpha ???

The water could be from a variety of sources. However, a hairline crack in the transom of a boat is never a positive thing. So it would be best to post up some pictures and see if you can isolate where water is coming from by taking a detailed look at the transom area inside the engine compartment when you put the boat in the water. Smartphone cameras are useful to see places where your head won't fit.

kalabi

Recruit
No Title

Yes, this on my 1990 sea ray 180 w/mercruiser 4.3L. Here is the picture you may need to zoom it to see the crack.

Attachments

• photo224008.jpg
    photo224008.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Yes, this on my 1990 sea ray 180 w/mercruiser 4.3L. Here is the picture you may need to zoom it to see the crack.

It looks like there are two cracks there. One running along the bottom and another coming down the center to the drain housing. Either can cause some serious transom issues if they are cracked through to the wood. You need to do some drilling into the transom to verify the transom is either dry and solid, or wet and needing replaced. Not the news I'm sure you wanted to hear, but better take care of things before failures do... JMHO!

robert graham

Admiral
maybe start by removing that drain plug fitting(3 Phillips head screws) and try to access/inspect inside of transom....if there's wood and it's wet then you may have some major transom repair....good luck!

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Let just say the wood is solid and its dry can I just seal the crack?

Of course if you drill inspection holes in the lower transom and you get totally dry shavings, then as you grind out the cracked area in preparation for repair, you can reply those inspection holes at the same time. Mix up some polyester resin and some Cabisol or appropriate poly filler and take a putty type knife and apply the filler to all the areas. After it cures, sand it flush and paint or gel coat over it to match... Easy peasy

tpenfield

Staff member
Let just say the wood is solid and its dry can I just seal the crack?

Just remember . . . where there is smoke there is fire.

You could repair it and see how it goes. Usually cracks in fiberglass gelcoat are due to weakness of the supporting material or expansion of the core material.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
There is no way you have a hairline crack leaking water into the boat.... Fiberglass doesn't fail that way.....

That crack is a either symptom of a more serious problem OR a superficial crack in the gel coat.... Forget the crack and verify the condition of your transom and stringers... Also find your leak... It's not there.

superbenk

Commander
As with everyone else, I'd be really concerned about the condition of the wood in the transom. The positioning of those cracks would concern me.

IllesheimVet

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I had nearly identical cracks appear in a previous boat. Boat was garage kept and the transom totally dry. I don't think they were caused by flexing, as that's probably the least likely area to flex on the whole boat, unless you have some serious transom problems. If it were caused by flexing, I think you'd have cracks in other areas (corners) as well.