Hailport?

mabj

Cadet
I am in the process of purchasing a cruiser that I will be docking in Charleston, SC. I have a name for the boat and want to include the hailport. Is it customary that I use the port that the boat resides in (Charleston) or my home town that is 120 miles away? I would prefer to use my hometown as the hailport but I also want to follow traditional custom.

arks

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Hailport?

It's a personal decision. I've seen it both ways.
IMO, the boat's home port should be the place it's normally tied up on the water, not the owners home inland. My boat is federally documented and its homeport is 40 miles from where I live.
I always thought it looked funny to see a big cabin cruiser with a "home port" miles and miles from any navigatible water. Kinda doesn't make any sense.

External Combustion

Chief Petty Officer

I picked the nearest Coast Guard station. I'm 50 miles from it and even Tulsa, OK brings questions when we travel out of state. Yes, we do have navigable waters here.:eek: Mine is also an enrolled vessel and I was told either one would work, but they preferred where she normally cruises from.

Congratulations on having the problem!

mabj

Cadet

Thanks for the responses - I am definitely leaning towards using the home port rather than the home town. Part of the reason we bought the boat was for it to be a "second home" anyway.

dave11

Lieutenant Junior Grade

My understanding is it makes a difference if you document the boat. If you just title it in your home state, it won't matter what you put on the stern.