Hailing Queenslanders (Aussie)

Kiwi Phil

Commander
Re: Hailing Queenslanders (Aussie)

They are plastic, look like a fat little fish, maybe 50+mm long, with a clear plastic bill. Have a tripple underneath them, one on the tail. When you shake them they rattle (rattle inside).<br />The white one with coloured spots apparantly works better than the red one. So says wife.<br /><br />An American I met at the markets, and lives on Bribie, told the wife that Flathead are an aggressive fish and will attack anything that annoys them, not to eat it, but to kill it. <br />He reckoned trolling like this was sucessful. He told us to meet him at a 'spot' and we transfered from the 25' to his tiny and away we went. Bingo!<br />He had a mass of lures stuck on a stryo Broccoli Box lid, and kept changing them at will. Told us to buy them at some little tackle shop, which we did.<br />If I recall, they were pretty cheap too.<br />Might go back and get some more soon.<br /> <br />Wife uses one of those light collapsable rods.<br />Before this we spent hours feeding fish with bait.<br />Now I spend hours trolling the sand banks. <br />Wife reckons the best spots are when we go from deep water (say 17') to shallow (2-3') but has also had sucess in the shallows.<br />I now believe everything she says.<br />I even have to make my own coffee now.<br /><br />I wonder is 2-3' of water, even with the OB raised, is good for it. <br />What do you reckon?.<br />Two weeks back had water in the oil so the worker (mechanic) got me to buy ALL seals, impellar, everything, and changed everything. $230 in parts. <br />Seemed real fair to me.....<br /> <br />Wonder if me trolling in this shallow water was the cause. He found a seal behind the prop (? 2 seals) the problem.<br /><br />My brother in NZ is a reasonably large Fishing Lure Manufacturer - trout and salmon.<br />He has a thing he has made for years called the Colorado Beetle, and salmon apparantly recognise it as a nuisance and snap it. Might try one of those on flathead one day.<br /><br />If you want me to get you one of these plastic lures let me know.<br /><br />Cheers<br />Phillip