Hailing: JamesCoste

eeboater

Commander
Hey James,<br /><br />I saw from my saw thread that you are installing laminate in your house. $1800 bucks?! How many square feet are you installing. <br /><br />Are you pulling all the molding off in the rooms and re-installing it when you are done putting the floor in? I was going to just get 1/4 round, but I am going to deal with the PITA of pulling the moulding off to have a nicer end result.<br /><br />Also, what saw did you opt for for the Compound Miter? I may buy the tablesaw and rent a miter.<br /><br />Sean

JamesCoste

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Hailing: JamesCoste

We are installing 562 square feet. We are doing our living room, kitchen, dining room, hallway, and laundry room.<br /><br />We purchased Armstrong SwiftLock™ WoodBridge Heritage Pine Laminate Flooring for $48.77/box.<br /><br /> Pine flooring <br /><br />I'm torn between <br />option 1: pulling off the baseboards, installing the floor, then putting them back<br />option 2: just pulling out the carpet underneath the baseboards and putting the flooring underneath it the best I can and then puting 1/4 round.<br /><br />We just painted our entire living room. I'm thinking that the wood flooring will be thinner than the carpet/padding. As a result the baseboards will be reinstalled below their original spot. I'll have a while line above where the baseboards were all around the room. Now that will be a PITN ot touchup.<br /><br />Since I have a table saw (a Ryobi) that will do all the ripping I need, I am going to get a compound miter saw. The one I am looking at is a GMC 10" Compound Miter Saw with Redeye® Laser. I'm thinking of doing some crown moulding in the master bedroom one day in the distant future.<br /><br />I hope your project goes well! How many square feet are you doing?

sangerwaker

Commander

Laminate is really popular now. Great product for the money. We are currently remodeling our small kitchen and will be installing laminate as well. We've got about 110 square feet to do.<br /><br />We found some stuff made in Germany (can't remember the manufacturer) at Home Value, a local kind of high end, home center on their "bargain area". I think it was 1.89 a square foot, normally over 3.00. Luckily, Pergo honey oak mouldings match perfectly.<br /><br />Hope your guys' projects go well!

eeboater

Commander

Wow, you have a MUCH bigger project than I do. I only have around 260 sq. ft. <br /><br />Your comment on the white line due to removing the trim triggered that thought in my head as well. Darnitall, I just painted my Kitchen/dining area 3 months ago. We ended up going with the Pergo Presto flooring which I think is only sold at Home Depot.<br /><br /> Pergo Presto Beech Blocked<br /><br /><br />I think I'm going to go with the table saw just because I can do Miter work with the table saw as long as I am careful.<br /><br />Good luck to both of you!!! We should take pics and post back when we're done :D <br /><br />Sean

JamesCoste

Chief Petty Officer

Agreed. I'll take pictures of the before, during, and after construction. <br /><br />My wife surprised me and bought the GMC saw this afternoon. Now to remove the carpet and do the prep work during the next couple of weeks.<br /><br />The Pergo looks nice. We chose the Armstrong product simply because some of our friends installed some a couple years back and it still looks great (plus he is going to help with the installation).