H.I.N. Decodeing

riskibusiness

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Does anyone know a site where you can decode an H I N.

Last edited by a moderator:

oops!

Supreme Mariner
Re: H.I.N. Decodeing

hi bud.....

first three are the manufacturers tag.......the middle stuff is the manufacturers info......the last two is the year

riskibusiness

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey oops thanks for that info. I had kinda found some of that already. What im trying to to decode is the mfg. info. There are a bunch of Wellcrafts that seem to look like mine. The title doesnt show a model name and I'm trying to figure it out. If anyone knows what she is I'd appreciate the help. She is a 1980 17 ft. open bow with the 470 mercruiser. It looks like a 170 classic, or an american,or a sport, or I found one called a bowrider. I just want to know what to call it. I had 40 or 50 people ask me last season and I had to keep saying UHHH I'm not sure Duhhh! So any help would be helpful. Oh and I looked at the 1980 brochure in the wellcraft section and it shows a 19.6 footer that looks just like it but not a 17. If I still had hair I would have two big handfulls by now.:confused:

riskibusiness

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yeah I checked there too. And I kinda dont trust it because it doesnt show my engine. It only shows the 3.0 not the 3.7

Bondo

Staff member

Yeah I checked there too. And I kinda dont trust it because it doesnt show my engine. It only shows the 3.0 not the 3.7

Ayuh,.... Here's a novel Idea,....

Post a Picture of it.....

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

You won't find that information except from Wellcraft.
Part of the serial number section used by the manufacturer may include a model number and serial number. At that point Wellcraft could go back through their records to find all the options.

A boats HIN does not have all the information in it that a cars VIN has.

PS NADA may not even know there was a 3.7 option. Their book misses a lot of things.

riskibusiness

Petty Officer 2nd Class

092.jpg sorry best pic i have and its under the cover now and its a job to get it off

Don S

It's really easy to tell which engine you have. Is the intake and exhaust manifolds made into one piece on the port side of the engine? If so, it's a 3.0L
If the intake is on the starboard side of the engine, and the exhaust on the port side, it's a 470 (aka 3.7L)

riskibusiness

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I know I have the 3.7 170 h.p. I dont know what model my boat is

Don S

Call you local/closest Wellcraft dealer and have your full HIN handy, and ask them. They may be able to look in either a book or a dealer site and find out exactly what it is.

http://www.wellcraft.com/

oops!

Supreme Mariner

yeah I was afraid of that. Dealers uggghhhh!!!

you would be surprised how helpful they are........especially the builders themselves !

i have spent hours talking to builders of most boat manufacturers....regal..searay, rinell, bayliner just to name a few.......these guys go the extra mile !